Downloads
Tutorials
Add to Favourites

Submit news

DIV ARENA FORUMS
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fantastic Banners (aka simple flag sim.)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 16-12-2016 at 03:27 PM
Fantastic Banners (aka simple flag sim.)

Sticking with the theme of physics sims, here's a very simple flag.

Attachment: m7_flag04.PRG (14kB)
This file has been downloaded 1660 times

Attachment: divmap.MAP (31kB)
This file has been downloaded 1458 times flag.png - 6kB

This version is with a higher definition for the flag. So it looks a bit smother.

Attachment: m7_flag05.PRG (14kB)
This file has been downloaded 1450 times

[Edited on 16-12-2016 by dom cook]
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 19-4-2017 at 08:22 AM

Hi Dom

I tried this not long ago and it works really well!! So I'd assume this is kind of a "voxel" style setup, with sprite voxels? I've had DIV crash before when trying to set up sprite bars to simulate railings etc, so Im surprised this works :D Is this set up with some kind of 3D grid arrangement, then?

And how high res do you think you could run a 3D "object" like this before DIV starts to have serious problems? Have been considering using something like this to make basic 3D objects like alarms, security cameras, tables, etc.

BC

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 10:48 AM

Hi BC,
Sorry for not replying until now, I've been off the computer for a while.

Unfortunately this thing is pretty limited for the purpose of making 3D objects. Each voxel is a process (this allows the mode 7 engine to handle the position in 3d space) . The problem is that using a process for a voxel is highly wasteful. More than a handful will overwhelm the computer (mine anyway).
The system could be used to do a cool version of something like "Robotron" though.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  

Hi BC,
Sorry for not replying until now, I've been off the computer for a while.

Unfortunately this thing is pretty limited for the purpose of making 3D objects. Each voxel is a process (this allows the mode 7 engine to handle the position in 3d space) . The problem is that using a process for a voxel is highly wasteful. More than a handful will overwhelm the computer (mine anyway).
The system could be used to do a cool version of something like "Robotron" though.

hmm, well surely if making any 3d objects where two voxels have to be on top of eachotha then itd be okay to just render that as a one "voxel"/process vertical bar? that could reduce the load on the system. I managed to make some things like caution tape, criss cross wire fences etc using sprite bars so maybe it'd be possible to do something similar with voxels.

Does your system involve a struct/three arrays for X, Y and Z coordinates, by the way? like say, having a central process to call voxel(voxelgraphic, voxel_x[vnum], voxel_y[vnum], voxel_z[vnum]); or similar?

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~

Go To Top