Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How DIV affected us
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 08:38 PM

You can only declare private vars in a process but you should really be able to declare local vars too, but this is a fairly big change to make and could cause issues.

But with the addition of include() files this should at least get a little easier
Htbaa
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 11:20 PM

I think Mike said on IRC he would add some form of "include file" later on.

Edit: lol. I'm a slowpoke. What he ^ said.:no:
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 09:43 AM

okay, i found the Game Maker 2000 installation disk and Genesis 3D cd :)

Dennis
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 12:00 PM

It is really weird they renamed it for some reason. Maybe it was a package that contained DIV and other programs? The program itself was called DIV Games Studio or did it have another interface?

RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 11:00 PM

The CD and manual calls Game Maker 2000. The software is DIV Games Studio 1. The Genesis 3D engine, i don't know for what is it. I think a 3D engine for game making.
Dazzy
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 03:25 PM

Div was my first taste of programming and I never really got round to doing anything in it all those years ago. School and live got in the way. Bar a few websites, WordPress, phpfox, jamroom over the years and a number of access front end databases I haven't really coded all that much.

Not sure I have the creative juices far developing from scratch.

Jamroom is current pay thing and it got me back into hacking smarty templates together in phpstorm, a great ide.

In case anyone wonder I am the same Dazzy!

I pretty much remember nothing about DIV, one really useful feature in modern ide's is code suggestions and completion, any chance you could bring that to the ide Mike? Would really help people pick up the language faster I think.
OScoder
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 09:24 PM

DIV saved me from the hell that was trying to make games in visual basic (no really!). I'd got no internet to start off with and no money - so before DIV it was just a pirated copy of VB I'd blagged from a student and a couple library books.

The language was nice - far better than basic as a beginners thing since it paved the way to C, js, and other languages full of curly braces and functions. But the big deal for me was actually having everything in one place. Decent examples, a graphics editor, all of that. Back when 56k internet was fast this was a massive massive deal! Half-decent documentation along with the box helped too - compare it to dark basic that sh*t was terrible! Then when I got onto the forums finally (I was 12 I might have had to lie about my age :P ), dang - all those examples, a tutorial or two written by normal people, free graphics and sound. It was a massive step up from being a lone coder working in a sh*tty language. I'll definitely always remember it as an example of what an online community can be like. One of the main things I remember is it didn't feel corporate at all (say, compared to the dark basic community). People were prepared to give away a lot of hard work for free and that was nice.

Anyway, after div arena died I lost interest in games programming and did various other coding projects. Then life happened and I stopped doing computers altogether and went off and did all kinds of crazy sh*t :) (like trying to break into an army base - that was interesting! The guy before me got his dreads stuck in the barbed wire, true story...). Only just got back into it properly the last few years. I'm a web developer/dev-ops engineer now, so it all kind of worked out!

Oh, and back in the day my name here was "anjetika" (I don't know why)
MadCow
DIV Newbie

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Adherbal  
Quote: Originally posted by MadCow  
or even start Syndicow.

I remember doing a sprite with a minigun-armed cow for this, but can't find it in my backup drive any more. I did found some questionable menu artwork though :blush:

That was an amazing sprite! I think I lost the file too :( I lost pretty much all my DIV source code :(
P.B.
Loyalty card holder

[*] posted on 13-10-2016 at 01:10 PM

Before DIV was released (I probably was around 10 years old), I already wanted to be able to make games. I liked games the most if they had a level editor. So I was really happy when I saw adds for DIV as a 12 year old. This was what I wanted, and now there was a platform that would enable me :-). Despite the adds, my parents told me that they couldn't find it and that it wasn't released yet.

I think I was round 13 years of age when I finally got DIV Games Studio 1 and I was excited :-). I did read the manual that came with it, wrote the space invaders tutorial and started tweaking that to my liking. Thanks to DIV, I learned to understand code, write code and think in code from 13 years of age onwards.

Even though throughout my DIV adventure, we had a dial-in internet connection, the internet did start to integrate into society. I wanted to share the games that I made, so I found a Dutch DIV community (DIVonline). A friend at school also started making games at that time using Game Maker and he had a website (using DreamWeaver), this inspired me to make my own website too.

I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment by writing code, so I didn't like Game Maker and I didn't like DreamWeaver. In stead, I started writing HTML, CSS, JavaScript and later even PHP using notepad. On top of that, I started to communicate online in "English". All these things where related to DIV and helped me to develop these skills at a young age.

Eventually I found DIV-Arena (I think DIV was released a bit later in the UK than it was in NL) and that was the community that I've been part of the longest. I was probably around 15 or 16 years old when I became a moderator here, but it felt like I had status and that gave me some pride (and I could use that).

When I was 17 years of age, I had to choose what I wanted to study and I chose Computer Science. That definitely was related to the fact that I already enjoyed writing code. By that time I had already learned a little bit of C (for the DLL's) and read a good part of a book about it and I had experience in writing websites and games in multiple technologies (I also wrote games for my calculator).

Now I am a software engineer who still enjoys writing code and made his career out of his hobby. I didn't end up writing games (mostly web applications), but I never wanted to make that my career (at the time I felt that wasn't the way that I wanted to contribute to society).

So in multiple ways, DIV was a foundation to develop a range of skills that are more useful to me now than most of the things I learned at school...

I used to be a gamer like you...
Then I took an arrow to the knee...
Casper
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 09:26 PM

DIV was life back in 2001/2002. I was obsessed with making games - so I did. I started with QBasic, but one day my dad bought me DIV! DIV was amazing; the program, the games, the community - it was a perfect storm of chaotic creativity on the internet. I coded in all my free time; school, friends, family, exercise was all secondary...

Eventually DIV became obsolete, and the community slowly dwindled. One day in a fit of teenage depression, I deleted all my games. Everything, all my code from back then is gone. Let's say it was a learning experience... I make backups of everything now.

I still write games, I've been doing it for a living for 5+ years, although I'm currently switching careers. DIV played a massive role in my interest in computer programming; to this day I still get nostalgic flashbacks to all the time spent in that blue screen...

Making games gives me joy... no simpler way to put it than that.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top