Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mode 8 Adventure Game
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 21-4-2022 at 10:22 AM

OK no problem,

Yes the link: DIVDX-windows-18.04.26-update.zip.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 21-4-2022 at 11:26 AM

No I didn't used this, because 18.04.26 is an empty zip file. I asked a friend to try it, but he has also the same problem.

I then downloaded the latest file from the nightly section (2019-02-19).

[Edited on 21-4-2022 by steffen87]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 21-4-2022 at 11:44 AM

Mmmm maybe a hole storage problem with attachments, ok for now I consider the bugs reported by the last nightlybuild, as soon as possible i will let you know, thanks.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 21-4-2022 at 03:23 PM

Thank you, too. I had the problem at the beginning with attaching a screenshot. That's why I use an image uploader.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 22-4-2022 at 07:19 AM

I'm confused now. As I wrote earlier, I can't write backslash (or square brackets etc.) in DIVDX or the latest nightly build. BUT: now I can't do it with the old DIV.
I first thought the Alt Gr key on my keyboard might be broken, but it works, just not in DIV.
So the problem must be my computer or something, not DIV.
New keyboard driver didn't help. I even tried on-screen keyboard.
It used to work. Ooph... I thought I could code a little further, despite the crashes....:(

[Edited on 22-4-2022 by steffen87]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 22-4-2022 at 12:48 PM

You need to check if your keyboard configuration is in your language and not another.

I have tried slash and backslash in the DIVDX build I am fixing with SDL2 and they work fine.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 22-4-2022 at 02:59 PM

Okay thanks.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 22-4-2022 at 05:06 PM

Hi, I finally got the latest build I compiled with SDL 1.2 to work again (SDL 2.0 is working in progress) ...

I tried your game, apart from the glitches in the "the sea" area I didn't notice any crashes or errors, maybe some bug fixed in this build.

I regenerated the build and uploaded it to the github repository, you can find the link here: https://div-arena.co.uk/forum2/viewthread.php?tid=246#pid225...
By clicking on "DIV DX Windows 32bit (x86) Package 18.04.26 you can download the latest updated build and try the game.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 23-4-2022 at 07:41 AM

Hello!
A made a new icon. At some point you have a "look at" function. If it's an eye, the textbox opens and you can read what the character is seeing; if it's an eye with wings :lol: the camera flies around. In this case around the tower, and then back to our hero.

Near the lake is a small cottage under construction.

I also made a start selection in mode 8.

@CicTec
I downloaded the link. Sorry, I didn't mention that you have to go to the new scene ("cottage by the lake") AND THEN back to "the lake" (it's not a sea anymore, it's a lake now, because "sea" means "Meer" and "lake" means "See" in german :smilegrin: ). Only after the crash happens. Here's the actual version:
april23.zip

Press F8 and then 1 for chapter 1 to skip the small tutorial. F5 makes the character run faster.

I provided the links for everyone, it's okay. Tell me, if somethings wrong or you have suggestions.

[Edited on 23-4-2022 by steffen87]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 23-4-2022 at 11:41 AM

Hello,

Yes, now the crash occurs, it is an Arithmetic exception error of the internal mode8 engine, let's see why it occurs, thanks for the report. :)
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 23-4-2022 at 01:05 PM

Okay, whatever this means. :lol: I'll add a cheat mode, to skip the crash.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 26-4-2022 at 06:39 AM

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 26-4-2022 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by steffen87  
Okay, whatever this means. :lol: I'll add a cheat mode, to skip the crash.

An exception is an event that the operating system throws when a program performs an illegal operation that normally leads to the closing or crash of the program that generates it, in this case it is arithmetic, for example a division by 0.

In the case of your game it is a division by 0, examining the source code with the debugger there is a part of the mode8 code that checks when an object crosses a transparent wall (which can be a door, a window or in the case of your game the bridge that unites with the lawn) between two sectors to verify collisions through the variable radius and it is assumed that this variable is always> 0.
In the case of your game this is not the case, as you divide the protagonist into two processes: 1 is dennis which turns out to be an object of mode8 which renders the character himself and the other is the camera which follows the character and moves the whole scene, for the internal engine it turns out to be 2 objects, where the camera has radius = 64, while dennis radius 0, and this looks like the crashing object.

What is still unclear is why when we pass from the "stockis house" scene to "the lake" and cross the bridge several times nothing happens, while if we change to the "cottage by the lake" scene and return to "the lake ", crossing the bridge executes the part of the engine code that causes the crash.
Two other problems I noticed, the first as you reported, always in "the lake" some glitches of the bushes processes are produced, it seems that the engine in some circumstances does not render an object well, the second (at least in what I see ) passing from "cottage the lake" to "the lake" the texture of the bridge seems to be rendered in a corrupt way.

In the next few days let's see if I can correct the problem, consider that hammer used an external engine developed by third parties for the mode8 that was not even a final version which the author himself reported that there were some bugs not currently solved, also they applied some themselves engine modifications to adapt it to DIV.

Very good :)
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 26-4-2022 at 09:10 PM

Thank you, I understand it now. When I press c (for crash :lol: ) Dennis jumps to the house scene, so I can avoid the crash.
If I encounter another crash I'll report it. No crash when walked from the bridge to the lawn in the new scene called "edge of the forest". Is it "woods" or "forest"? Haha! In my language both means "Wald".

Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  

Very good :)

Thanks! :blush: I thought it would look bad, but actually it looks nice. I found some free textures and the trees look good. The woods (or forest) will be a little darker. Let's see who Dennis meets there. I'm making up the story on the side.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 29-4-2022 at 06:44 PM

The woods are mostly flat areas where it is possible to build or find paths built and managed by men, normally it is a small area of at least 2000mq.
The forests are very dense and mostly wild areas of at least 10000mq.

I would therefore say that from the type of game it would be the woods.

[Edited on 29-4-2022 by CicTec]
Dennis
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 8-9-2022 at 02:38 PM

The game looks nice. Reminds me of the Playstation 1 games from my youth.

steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 11-9-2022 at 08:43 AM

Thank you!
I will be working on this game when it's getting colder. I didn't do anything during the summer, but I have some new ideas. :)
Takes much time to to make the world, especially the woods with all the trees.
Maybe I'll upload a small demo in a few weeks.

[Edited on 11-9-2022 by steffen87]
Dennis
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 22-9-2023 at 07:31 PM

Cool!

I am looking forward to it!

steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 29-10-2023 at 02:49 AM

Hi!
I have to admit, that I haven't done anything for a year. I was doing other things. BUT I'm just changing some things in the game. There will be a symbol when you're at a point where a scene ends. When walking "up" (for example to the sawmill or a door) the camera will move forward for a brief moment, which looks good.
Also I will change the code, because I'm using so much IFs when the character walks out of the screen (or scene).
For example: IF ( x < 12345 ) everytime, which can be easily done which structeres I think.
Also the Editor often crashes when I'm trying to edit the WLD, which is a little demotivating.
Maybe I'll make this game smaller than I planned.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 29-10-2023 at 10:19 PM

Hi!
Also the Editor often crashes when I'm trying to edit the WLD, which is a little demotivating.
Maybe I'll make this game smaller than I planned.

Hi,

Try as much as possible to report the points or moments in which the editor crashes during map editing, so we can try to reproduce the crash in debug mode to see the possible point in the code that produces the error.

For the rest, the project is very interesting, we hope to see at least a more advanced demo soon.
Vortigano
DIV Regular

[*] posted on 30-10-2023 at 04:35 AM

Hi, I think it must be those 'random' crashes that happen, for example, when creating a WLD from scratch. Sometimes it would fail when clicking outside the mode8 map editor window.
steffen87
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 4-11-2023 at 05:24 PM

When right-clicking on the 3d-map to move around, no crash happens. But when I make a change and THEN click right again, it crashes.
daltomi
DIV Newbie

[*] posted on 30-11-2023 at 02:53 PM

backtrace:
Code:
Thread 1 "div-LINUX" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x00005555555c88b6 in map_editpoint () at src/divmap3d.c:2290 2290 my_map->points[edit_point]->x=x; (gdb) bt #0 0x00005555555c88b6 in map_editpoint () at src/divmap3d.c:2290 #1 0x00005555555cba45 in MapperCreator2 () at src/divmap3d.c:677

edit_point:
Code:
(gdb) p edit_point $4 = -1

Perdón, voy a escribir en español.

Entonces se vé que edit_point es igual a -1 y esto causa el SIGSEGV.

Posible fix así sin pensarlo mucho xD

Code:
diff --git a/src/divmap3d.c b/src/divmap3d.c index ad49752..1937726 100644 --- a/src/divmap3d.c +++ b/src/divmap3d.c @@ -2284,7 +2284,7 @@ void map_editpoint() } } - if (mouse_b&2 && old_but2==0) { + if (edit_point != -1 && mouse_b&2 && old_but2==0) { if(mouse_b&1) MouseFocus=0; old_but2=1; old_but1=0; my_map->points[edit_point]->x=x; ~

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 30-11-2023 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by daltomi  
backtrace:
Code:
Thread 1 "div-LINUX" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x00005555555c88b6 in map_editpoint () at src/divmap3d.c:2290 2290 my_map->points[edit_point]->x=x; (gdb) bt #0 0x00005555555c88b6 in map_editpoint () at src/divmap3d.c:2290 #1 0x00005555555cba45 in MapperCreator2 () at src/divmap3d.c:677

edit_point:
Code:
(gdb) p edit_point $4 = -1

Perdón, voy a escribir en español.

Entonces se vé que edit_point es igual a -1 y esto causa el SIGSEGV.

Posible fix así sin pensarlo mucho xD

Code:
diff --git a/src/divmap3d.c b/src/divmap3d.c index ad49752..1937726 100644 --- a/src/divmap3d.c +++ b/src/divmap3d.c @@ -2284,7 +2284,7 @@ void map_editpoint() } } - if (mouse_b&2 && old_but2==0) { + if (edit_point != -1 && mouse_b&2 && old_but2==0) { if(mouse_b&1) MouseFocus=0; old_but2=1; old_but1=0; my_map->points[edit_point]->x=x; ~

Hola,

Si, el debugger indica aqui el error, pero la solucion del fix no es correcta, porque no sabemos las variables MousFocus, old_but2 y old_but1 donde se usan y cual comportamiento pueden variar.
Ademas hay la llamada a map_off para resetear paredes y vertices.
La solucion ideal es poner el if en la modifica de los puntos solamente.
Code:
if (mouse_b&2 && old_but2==0) { if(mouse_b&1) MouseFocus=0; old_but2=1; old_but1=0; if(edit_point != -1) { my_map->points[edit_point]->x=x; my_map->points[edit_point]->y=y; } //--------------------------------------------------------------------- // Apago tanto los vertices como las paredes //--------------------------------------------------------------------- map_off(); }

Voy a hacer el fix en mi repositorio y resubir la build, gracias en todo caso por la ayuda con el fix. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Yes, the debugger indicates the error here, but the fix solution is not correct, because we do not know the variables MousFocus, old_but2 and old_but1 where they are used and what behavior they can vary.
There is also the call to map_off to reset walls and vertices.
The ideal solution is to put the if in the modifier of the points only.
Code:
if (mouse_b&2 && old_but2==0) { if(mouse_b&1) MouseFocus=0; old_but2=1; old_but1=0; if(edit_point != -1) { my_map->points[edit_point]->x=x; my_map->points[edit_point]->y=y; } //--------------------------------------------------------------------- // Apago tanto los vertices como las paredes //--------------------------------------------------------------------- map_off(); }

I'm going to make the fix in my repository and reupload the build, thanks in any case for the help with the fix. :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top