Downloads
Tutorials
Add to Favourites

Submit news

DIV ARENA FORUMS
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TownX 3D (working title)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 22-12-2017 at 09:44 PM
TownX 3D (working title)

Hayhay everyone!! Happy Holidayz!!! :D

So I started working on a mode 8 first-person horror adventure prototype recently and it's now at the stage where I can release a few early screenshots :)

As many people here now I've been experimenting with mode 8 and what you can do with it for a while now and this is the latest in a series of attempts to create something immersive and enjoyable using the old engine.

For anyone keeping count, this is the sixth prototype that I've made and that's not including the mode 8 tech demo that I released last year :lol: but with each attempt I improved and honed the functions that I had made and also created some new ones many of these are now in used in this new prototype that im posting about here which for the moment I'm calling the Haunted town prototype or TownX 3D prototype (remember that, Dennis? :p )

Current features are:

* A fully working inventory with an equipped slot, the option to drop items (and pick them back up again!) As well as swap items around in the inventory and also inspect them up close
* Swinging doors that can be locked and require use of keys to open
* Original hand drawn pixel art texture work ( as I realised this works better with the old mode 8 engine!)
* Sprint bar that becomes repleated when walking
* 3d sound emitters
* "Two sided" sprite bars, which can be used for things like signs, banners etc

Planned future features are first-person survival combat solvable environmental puzzles and inventory puzzles and a diary / to do list which fills up as you venture around the town - oh yes and a proper name as well :p

Hope to have a working demo of this out soon! :)

- BC

earlyBeta_3.jpg - 75kBearlyBeta_2.jpg - 93kBearlyBeta_4.jpg - 73kBearlyBeta_1.jpg - 83kB

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
Vortigano
DIV Regular

[*] posted on 22-12-2017 at 10:12 PM

Wowowowow!!!!! the white fog looks creepy ... it reminds me maybe of Silent Hill.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 22-12-2017 at 11:01 PM

Hi BreadCaster,

Really fantastic, you are trying to exploit all the potential and beyond of mode8, keep it up, we hope to see a playable demo soon.
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 23-12-2017 at 03:14 PM

Hello, hello, it looks very nice :)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 07:44 PM

Thank you all for the positive feedback!! :)

@Vortigano - yes, Silent Hill is a big inspiration :smilegrin: as it was with the original TownX that Dennis made, I believe.

@Cictec - yep, trying to do as best as i can in mode 8 - the only thing is that because im using colored zfog there will be a limit to how much work i can do on it until the set_env_color function is fixed, because I need to use it and at present it stops load_wld working as I posted about in this thread! ). ;)

Have another screenshot! The sign on the outside of that building reads "CONDEMNED KEEP OUT", by the way :)

earlyBeta_5.jpg - 81kB

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  

@Cictec - yep, trying to do as best as i can in mode 8 - the only thing is that because im using colored zfog there will be a limit to how much work i can do on it until the set_env_color function is fixed, because I need to use it and at present it stops load_wld working as I posted about in this thread! ). ;)

Yes I understand, I unfortunately have not yet been able to try the example for the bug, I also wait to see how the situation of the code updates can be resolved.

Have another screenshot! The sign on the outside of that building reads "CONDEMNED KEEP OUT", by the way :)

You're doing an excellent job. :)
Casper
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 11:53 PM

Very cool indeed! I love this. I remember being completely obsessed with Mode8 all those years ago when I was making my DIV shooter Phoenix Ashes.

I specifically remember wanting to have 2 sided transparent signs like you've made, so I'm stoked somebody's actually implemented it - good work!

Keep sharing!
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Casper  
Very cool indeed! I love this. I remember being completely obsessed with Mode8 all those years ago when I was making my DIV shooter Phoenix Ashes.

I specifically remember wanting to have 2 sided transparent signs like you've made, so I'm stoked somebody's actually implemented it - good work!

Keep sharing!

Thanks Casper!!!! it took a bit of poking about but i was able to sort it out - altho i still really should implement non horizontal/vertical spritebars, so i can place them diagonally, hahah. now that really would be tough :p

Mode 8 can be a tempermental [Censored], but generally once you learn where the bugs are its pretty consistant and you can work out a reason for it glitching. Im currently in the middle of reprogramming the flickering/blinking light process from scratch to be more flexible and less of a nightmare/easier to work with :)

All ill be releasing at first is the completed section of the town with a basic menu and a few puzzles. Therell be at least one "Unavailable in demo" invisible wall somewhere due to me wanting to be able to link this map to another one once the set_env_color bug is fixed.

BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 08:05 PM

as a result of Cictecs fantastic support:

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 09:30 PM

A really impressive work, especially if we consider the use of only 256 colors (8bit), congratulations, BreadCaster. :)
Vortigano
DIV Regular

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 03:00 PM

Hermoso trabajo, se ve genial :)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 05:14 PM

So, ive not worked much on this for a lil while - the main issue Im having is lots of black lines glitching all over the map, which are a real pain to fix. I think Ive worked out what causes them, but sadly its gonna mean im going to have to do a LOT of work fixing the .WLD so they dont show up :( I really wish Mode8 didnt have this bug!!

Anyway aside from that the main map is finished. Theres a few invisible walls that throw up a "Not available in demo" message but aside from that it's fully explorable. I've still yet to add: 1) close up "inspect" images of the collectable items 2) texture one interior room 3) add a few more puzzles 4) add a texture animating function for the tops of sliding boxes/crates.

Sadly though I can't create a working install of the game, it simply bugs out and crashes aftar the "DivDX! make your own games" screen - even when i disable all sound :(

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 05:15 PM

Is there an error log you can paste? I can try to fix it
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
Is there an error log you can paste? I can try to fix it

Code:
SDL KEY INIT 3780f8 found file: packfile.pak divz open file: [packfile.pak] loaded zip: 378180 C:\Users\user\Desktop\TOWNX3D\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND.EXE 209569 Looking for packfile.pak FOUND IT! Read 628939 of 628939 byte zipptr 2240020, len: 628939 TESTING packfile.pak FOUND PAK IN ZIP packfile.pak Opening Audio Device compiled with SDL_mixer version: 1.2.12 running with SDL_mixer version: 1.2.12 divz open file: [packfile.pak] loaded zip: 3784b0 C:\Users\user\Desktop\TOWNX3D\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND.EXE 209569 Looking for packfile.pak FOUND IT! Read 628939 of 628939 byte zipptr 2240020, len: 628939 divz open file: [packfile.pak] loaded zip: 3784b0 C:\Users\user\Desktop\TOWNX3D\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND.EXE 209569 Looking for packfile.pak FOUND IT! Read 628939 of 628939 byte zipptr 2240020, len: 628939 divz open file: [NoEntryFence.FPG] loaded zip: 3784b0 C:\Users\user\Desktop\TOWNX3D\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND.EXE 209569 Looking for NoEntryFence.FPG divz open file: [fpg/noentryfence.fpg] loaded zip: 3784b0 C:\Users\user\Desktop\TOWNX3D\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND\TOWNX3D_NOSOUND.EXE 209569 Looking for fpg/noentryfence.fpg

This is for the version without sound - i mean, ideally id like to distribute the demo WITH sound as it's got some great music and effects :/

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 05:43 PM

That's weird there's nothing there. Any other logs?

If you send me the prg etc i could try to reproduce it here and run it with gdb
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 05:48 PM

That's weird there's nothing there. Any other logs?

If you send me the prg etc i could try to reproduce it here and run it with gdb

alrighty - will do via U2U - the version with, or without sound? :)

[Edited on 2-3-2018 by BreadCaster]

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 05:50 PM

Lets do with, and I'll see how that goes
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 06:06 PM

Lets do with, and I'll see how that goes

Sent u it via U2U/Sendspace :)

BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 02:39 PM

Hi Mike - just to check, did u get it OK? :)

iWizard
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 09:55 AM

Hi Mike - just to check, did u get it OK? :)

The dirty git is partying in Vegas I hear. :no:
Mezzmer
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 04:12 PM

Naughty MikeDX indeed. Does this thread get an update?

BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 20-3-2019 at 03:05 PM

heads up - this hasnt been done yet because I still havent had access to the PC this was made on after we moved flats. As soon as its all set up I'll send it all over to Mike and see if its possible to get it compiled it to a web version :)

Go To Top