Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tutorial?
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 11-5-2019 at 01:21 PM

Publish the example, I don't know what you mean?
Do you mean for me to rewrite the line of source code and upload it to GitHub?

If you mean I should compile it, I'm afraid I haven't got a clue how to do that.

Or are you referring to the example which illustrates the issue? That's posted 5 posts up from here with a helpful screenshot.

Here's the code.

Code:
PROGRAM m7bug; GLOBAL ground_map; file1; map; ground_wide = 512; ground_high = 512; modex=800; modey=600; //------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- private i; BEGIN restore_type= no_restore; x=ground_wide/2; y=ground_high-32; mouse.x=100; mouse.y=100; map=makemap(); set_fps(60,0); //write_int(0,10,10,0,&fps); set_mode(800600); define_region(1,0,0,400,300); define_region(2,0,300,400,300); define_region(3,400,0,400,300); define_region(4,400,300,400,300); from i=1 to 4; start_mode7(i, file1, ground_map,0, i, 128+i*16); m7[i].height = 3210; m7[i].distance = 1144; m7[i].color = 210; m7[i].camera = map; m7[i].horizon =-200; m7[i].focus = 500; m7[i].z = 0; end marker(); END //---------------------------------------------- process marker(); begin graph=new_map(100,100,50,50,rand(0,255)); x=500; y=0; ctype=c_m7; loop frame; end end //--------------------------------------------------------------------------- PROCESS makemap() PRIVATE i; j; BEGIN ctype = c_m7; x=ground_wide/2; y=ground_high/2; //graph=3; angle=90000; ground_map =new_map(ground_wide,ground_high,ground_wide/2,ground_high/2,16*rand(0,14)); loop if(key(_a)) angle+=3000; end if(key(_d)) angle-=3000; end frame; end END //---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edited on 11-5-2019 by dom cook]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 11-5-2019 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  

Or are you referring to the example which illustrates the issue? That's posted 5 posts up from here with a helpful screenshot.

Here's the code.

Code:
PROGRAM m7bug; GLOBAL ground_map; file1; map; ground_wide = 512; ground_high = 512; modex=800; modey=600; //------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- private i; BEGIN restore_type= no_restore; x=ground_wide/2; y=ground_high-32; mouse.x=100; mouse.y=100; map=makemap(); set_fps(60,0); //write_int(0,10,10,0,&fps); set_mode(800600); define_region(1,0,0,400,300); define_region(2,0,300,400,300); define_region(3,400,0,400,300); define_region(4,400,300,400,300); from i=1 to 4; start_mode7(i, file1, ground_map,0, i, 128+i*16); m7[i].height = 3210; m7[i].distance = 1144; m7[i].color = 210; m7[i].camera = map; m7[i].horizon =-200; m7[i].focus = 500; m7[i].z = 0; end marker(); END //---------------------------------------------- process marker(); begin graph=new_map(100,100,50,50,rand(0,255)); x=500; y=0; ctype=c_m7; loop frame; end end //--------------------------------------------------------------------------- PROCESS makemap() PRIVATE i; j; BEGIN ctype = c_m7; x=ground_wide/2; y=ground_high/2; //graph=3; angle=90000; ground_map =new_map(ground_wide,ground_high,ground_wide/2,ground_high/2,16*rand(0,14)); loop if(key(_a)) angle+=3000; end if(key(_d)) angle-=3000; end frame; end END //---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edited on 11-5-2019 by dom cook]

exactly that :), later I try it and let you know
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 11:10 AM

Ok, i've tested and yes, the bug is what you have indicated and the fix code the same, now hotpoint rotates together with the figure remaining always in the tip, here the screenshot:
DIVDX_mode7_bug_fixed.png - 7kB

Congratulations for having found the bug without knowledge in C. :)

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 06:23 PM

That's great. Thanks for sorting that out. To be honest though, I do have knowledge of C. I used it in a project about 15 years ago. It's just that I just wouldn't be able to write anything in it these days. But reading and writing are two different things. It's the same with Spanish.

So now, how would I go about getting the fixed version? Will there be a new build or something?

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 06:33 PM

That's great. Thanks for sorting that out. To be honest though, I do have knowledge of C. I used it in a project about 15 years ago. It's just that I just wouldn't be able to write anything in it these days. But reading and writing are two different things. It's the same with Spanish.

You are welcome. :)

it is good to have knowledge in C, even if minimal. :)

So now, how would I go about getting the fixed version? Will there be a new build or something?

This is a bit of a problem at present, unfortunately my current PC has problems with the latest versions of windows 10 due to video driver issues, so I had to switch to Linux and have no form when it comes to generating builds for windows in a simple way or to test them (I should start windows, hoping that it doesn't crash, but if it happens I have to manually turn off the machine and risk damage to the disk, etc ...).

Furthermore the current official repository does not contain all the latest fixes made by me with the latest build generated (over 40 bugs).

The best solution would be at the moment if you can install the compilation environment, download the latest code from my repository, fix the mode7 yourself (or maybe I upload the fix in the repository) and then generate the build yourself.

If you tell me which operating system you are using I can give you a hand with installing the development environment.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 07:05 PM

As things stand I'm borrowing my wife's laptop when it's free. I have a desktop folder on it with all my stuff in it but I can't really take it over and start installing stuff. I've been meaning to get my own computer for the last 3 years but have just never got around to it However it's now looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one. I know you suggested Linux to me in the past so I 'll look to getting one of those.

My next question is, do you have any suggestions about make or specs? The easiest thing would be for me to order one from Dell. Is that a bad idea?
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 07:26 PM

As things stand I'm borrowing my wife's laptop when it's free. I have a desktop folder on it with all my stuff in it but I can't really take it over and start installing stuff. I've been meaning to get my own computer for the last 3 years but have just never got around to it However it's now looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one.

Yes, I understand you, maybe now it's a good excuse to take the new PC. ;)

I know you suggested Linux to me in the past so I 'll look to getting one of those.

In reality I had suggested Windows, being the most used operating system in terms of game development and game engine, it was Mike who suggested you Linux.

My next question is, do you have any suggestions about make or specs? The easiest thing would be for me to order one from Dell. Is that a bad idea?

If we talk about hardware specifications for the new PC and a complete set-up for developing your games and working with DIV (even just generating builds for fixes and testing), my suggestions are these:
- CPU at least of an Intel i5 at 2.8ghz, better with integrated intel GPU (although now all models have this).
- at least 16GB of RAM
- discrete video card (preferably NVIDIA) with at least 8GB of ram (there are many models, let's say a version within your pocket with good performances for 3D).
- 250GB SSD disk for installing windows 10 (possibly PRO version) and some programs (including the development environment).
- 1GB HDD disk (Western Digital advice) for Linux distro installation (in order to have more operating systems) to be partitioned, a 500GB for use of 2 Linux distro and 500GB for any virtualized versions.
- 1GB HDD disk with external box for all your data and more (I recommend making periodic backups at least every 10-15 days).

With this you should be able to fit everything you need.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 07:50 PM

Ok Thanks, I'll start looking.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 08:07 PM

You're welcome.

You could also try on amazon, there are many offers and lower prices compared to other parts for many things (even if it depends a lot on the country), if you are also an assembly expert you could buy the separate pieces and mount the PC yourself.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 11:18 AM

I am delighted to proclaim that I have only done it. Armed only with my trusty new Raspberry Pi and a cheat sheet from Mike, I built DIV with this bug fixed. Big Win! Thanks Mike. (and CicTec if you're still around)
Here's my screenshot.

sct.jpg - 10kB

The problem now is that I can't remember why I needed this fix in the first place. I'm sure I had an amazing game planned.

[Edited on 20-4-2021 by dom cook]

(Not sure what's up with the screenshot..

[Edited on 20-4-2021 by dom cook]

sct.png - 72kB
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 11:38 AM

Hi dom cook,

Congratulations on being able to build the DIVDX build from the source code. :)

Are you referring to the above mode7 bug?
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 12:01 PM

That is right. I know you did this already, but I never got around to it myself. My computer broke and it took a while to get a new one (raspberry pi) and an even longer time to start using it. Mike showed me how to download and build DIV for it. Fortunately, this thread was still up so I just cut and pasted the code that you had already confirmed worked, so thanks for that.
I guess this might mean that I'm in a position to help with fixing DIV if there's anyone out there with a vision for this.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 12:09 PM

Sounds great to me. :)

Yes, I had fixed the bug, but I don't remember if I had inserted the fix in the DIV fork repository that I had made for development.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 12:16 PM

I didn't think there had been too much development over the last couple of years. Have you done much with your DIV fork?
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 05:28 PM

Currently not, I am using the free time available to follow with my own DIV engine that I have been developing for years, if I can get more time I will continue something and publish it.

However, you can find everything developed so far here:
https://github.com/CicTec/DIV-Games-Studio

This version contains many bugfixes and is more up to date than the official repository version, if you are interested you can download it to generate a DIVDX build for you.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  
Currently not, I am using the free time available to follow with my own DIV engine that I have been developing for years, if I can get more time I will continue something and publish it.

However, you can find everything developed so far here:
https://github.com/CicTec/DIV-Games-Studio

This version contains many bugfixes and is more up to date than the official repository version, if you are interested you can download it to generate a DIVDX build for you.

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Good luck with your own engine, I hope to see it one day. The more versions of DIV the merrier.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 06:37 PM

Thanks, The engine has already been available for public use for many years and is used by several DIV users.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 21-4-2021 at 04:17 AM

I see. Gemix?
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 21-4-2021 at 05:10 AM

Yes.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top