Downloads
Tutorials
Add to Favourites

Submit news

DIV ARENA FORUMS
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A few more mode 8 questions!
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

question.gif posted on 14-12-2016 at 11:23 AM
A few more mode 8 questions!

Hi there guys an gals :)

I had a few more quick questions about Mode 8 - mostly aimed at Mike and Cictec but others miiiight be able to help as well??

Firstly, I wanted to ask about raycasting. I know that Mode 8 is a raycasting engine, i.e. it doesn't use real 3D and basically just sends out "rays" (like a hitscan) in the field of view of a 2D engine to simulate 3D walls, like all 2.5D games.

However, if you were making a game in DivDX and you wanted to check some things on a regular basis with a hitscan check, then is there any way of accessing the "rays" that are cast "under the hood" so to speak/in the engine so you don't have to code a seperate hitscan function, just access the Mode 8 engines raycasting outcomes instead? (perhaps reserved.something.raydist?) Because if you DO have to code a seperate hitscan function and you're sending them out constantly, that's gonna slow the game down a lot, and youre already sending out regular Mode 8 raycasting rays, haha.

The other thing was likely a little simpler (or at least I hope so!) - aligning textures in mode 8. Currently, lots of textures in the mode 8 tech test are unaligned with other textures on adjacent walls (like in the attached photo). Does anyone have any idea how I would go about aligning textures with other walls that have different heights/indentations?

Thanks a lot folks!!!!

/BC

m8alignment.jpg - 169kB

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 16-12-2016 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  
Hi there guys an gals :)

I had a few more quick questions about Mode 8 - mostly aimed at Mike and Cictec but others miiiight be able to help as well??

Firstly, I wanted to ask about raycasting. I know that Mode 8 is a raycasting engine, i.e. it doesn't use real 3D and basically just sends out "rays" (like a hitscan) in the field of view of a 2D engine to simulate 3D walls, like all 2.5D games.

However, if you were making a game in DivDX and you wanted to check some things on a regular basis with a hitscan check, then is there any way of accessing the "rays" that are cast "under the hood" so to speak/in the engine so you don't have to code a seperate hitscan function, just access the Mode 8 engines raycasting outcomes instead? (perhaps reserved.something.raydist?) Because if you DO have to code a seperate hitscan function and you're sending them out constantly, that's gonna slow the game down a lot, and youre already sending out regular Mode 8 raycasting rays, haha.

Hi BreadCaster,

It should be possible to add these features, but you will have a confirmation after the refactoring.

The other thing was likely a little simpler (or at least I hope so!) - aligning textures in mode 8. Currently, lots of textures in the mode 8 tech test are unaligned with other textures on adjacent walls (like in the attached photo). Does anyone have any idea how I would go about aligning textures with other walls that have different heights/indentations?

Thanks a lot folks!!!!

/BC

Could you tell me please what sector of the WLD corresponds ?, I would like to do some tests before answering.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 17-12-2016 at 08:10 PM

Good to hear that the developer access to mode 8s raycasting rays may be possible in later builds, thanks :)

Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  

Thanks a lot folks!!!!

/BC

Could you tell me please what sector of the WLD corresponds ?, I would like to do some tests before answering.

Well in the Mode 8 tech test I posted in the WIP section, it's sectors 36 and 38 and lines 207, 208 and 209 that are misaligned, in the example I've given above. Let me explain:

Sector 38 is being used as an indented "button" and this means the heights on that sectors ceiling and floor are different than sector 36, the sector that it's visible from. This means that the alignment of the texture of line 208 is different than that of lines 207 and 209.

That's the problem :p

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 21-12-2016 at 10:42 AM

Hi BreadCaster,

I studied a little the WLD, now I can not find a good solution, in the coming days will execute other more extensive testing to see if you can solve the problem.

Go To Top