Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tile Maps?
MasterComputer202
DIV Junior

exclamation.gif posted on 27-11-2016 at 11:31 PM
Tile Maps?

Hy again. Can I have some help and suggestions on using tilemaps with my 2D game in DIV Games Studio? Is there a certain command that I use or do I just game code it in from scratch? An example would not hurt for me. So what would you guys suggest?:)
MasterComputer202
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 02:06 AM

I looked at one of the game examples called malvado. Correct me if Im wrong but I think what I could do if I wanted to make a platformer, I could put small parts of the level background similar to tiles in an FPG file, like the clouds and then the blocks to jump on and such more. I then would simply somehow code that in to make it a scrolling platformer game similar to mario. The same would I suppose work with an RPG. Is this really the right way to do what I want to do though which is some sort of tile based game?
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 11:17 AM

Hello MasterComputer202 and welcome,

DIV currently has no native tilemap system, support a system based on the map of hardness, but you can create a tiling engine with DIV.

You can find some useful information indicated by RKSoft in the following link:

http://div-arena.co.uk/forum2/viewthread.php?tid=125#pid1421

Quote: Originally posted by MasterComputer202  
I looked at one of the game examples called malvado. Correct me if Im wrong but I think what I could do if I wanted to make a platformer, I could put small parts of the level background similar to tiles in an FPG file, like the clouds and then the blocks to jump on and such more. I then would simply somehow code that in to make it a scrolling platformer game similar to mario. The same would I suppose work with an RPG. Is this really the right way to do what I want to do though which is some sort of tile based game?

Yes, objects like mobile platforms etc.. can be created as processes.

Dr. Malvado use a Map of hardness as indicated before, it mean that you create a real map to render on screen, and a hardness map, normally in black&white, of half size compared to to original map, and select with line/pixel colours the collision zones, then use MAP_GET_PIXEL to check collision (loot ad "jack", "gravity" and "on_screen" processes).

Native support of tilemap should be integrated later, for now you can try to build your own, or use the Dr Malvado system.

[Edited on 28-11-2016 by CicTec]
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 03:38 PM

The Dr Malavado system (using hardness maps) is easier short term, but trust me when I say it is VERY cool to have a level editor you've made that can create whatever kind of platform game level you like :D

As long as you know how to use a STRUCT, save() and load() and some commands like map_xput, making a tile editing system shouldn't be too difficult :)

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 05:28 PM

Create a level editor for the IDE would be the best choice, but it requires a lot of work, what could be done initially is to support "standard" formats for tiled maps external editor's, and maybe later have its own editor.

Go To Top