Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MP3 to OGG
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 30-4-2016 at 07:18 PM
MP3 to OGG

Hah, well it seems old habits die hard - here I am asking yet ANOTHER coding question. Yet this one seems to be more theoretical, as I've never known of a DIV game to deal with this (though it may be more a bennu thing).

I'm not even expecting a yes to this one, but - has anyone seen or made a game or program in DIV wherein .mp3s are either used, or converted to .oggs to be played ingame? Asking users to convert all the mp3s they may want to hear ingame to .ogg (a file format that many run of the mill players won't of heard of) using an external program and to then stick the resulting .ogg files in a specific folder may be asking too much of some - and may result in people just not bothering at all.

If not then I'll be happy enough with many people turning off music ingame and using an external music playing proggy like iTunes or something, but it'd be more elegant IMO to have it integrated. :) I did have a quick search around the BennuGD forums but of course, most of the results are in Spanish, and I don't speak Spanish.

Let me know if you know of anything, peeps~!

- BC

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 01:39 AM

I think eventually DIV will have native MP3 support. At the moment this is purely down to the options it's actually compiled with (on a per platform basis).

WEB does *not* support mp3, so this is something I will have to deal with. In the IDE it's easy as we can convert on the fly using the built in sound editor, but for platforms with no IDE (such as the javascript port), supporting mp3 is less than trivial.

However, this really is no different to how DIV used to handle PCM / WAV files. Basically any modern div port converts pcm to wav on the fly (although a wav is actually just a PCM with a different header, it still has to be proceessed)

I will probably have some native mp3 decompressor in software that converts to wav on the fly, like the old PCM converter. It's no different to loading an image really - once you load the graphic you work on the "uncompressed" anyway.

So in short - no idea.

Long version... maybe you could write a bennu dll to support it based on liblame - if that is such a thing...

Go To Top