Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mode 8 Tech Test
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:29 PM
Mode 8 Tech Test

Okay so! Finally. Here it is. The first release of the mode 8 tech test I've been doing, which started life as "BasicM8viewer"... it's now anything but basic, haha :lol:

I've zipped it and stuck it under this post, I didn't create an installation for it but hopefully at some point Mikey will compile this for web if I ask very very nicely. :smilegrin:

Features a whole bunch of stuff, including some things I thought weren't actually possible in mode 8 until I tried making them work. Each one of these "features" is self contained within a process, and this .WLD is demonstrating *all* of them so it may lag a little at times.

Controls and credits are on the splash screen (sort of - I didn't individually credit people on Freesound) though I did forget to credit a few people on youtube, for instance the ambient city loop by Ambience Hub (which you can hear here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElU8g7xi6ws )

Oh yeah - I also forgot to mention, you can hold shift to run.

Current bugs I know of are getting stuck on top of the "pipes" that you have to jump over, and that sometimes the camera gets stuck inside mode 8 sectors. If this happens, backtrack a little and see if you can collide with one of the walls in the room - if you cant/you just go through the wall and cause mode 8 to bug out, repeat until you can.

Making this has taught me a lot about where the bugs in Mode 8 are - for instance, using set_point_m8 while the camera is inside that sector is a recipie for disaster, and just walking into a sector that has been set at any point using that command always carries a risk. Sectors also cant be too close together or you get horrid flickering effects. But I'm pretty proud of what I've made so far :)

Future versions will include more sound effects, fading of ambient sounds as you move out of those sectors, and loading/unloading .WLDs as that circumvents most of mode 8s limitations if you're careful with how you design. I probably won't release that version until it's possible to animate the background image of a .WLD file though :)

/BC

Attachment: Mode 8 Tech Test.zip (5.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 1973 times

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:43 PM

This is impressive on all sorts of of levels.

You've come a long way since that youngster we met at the div meet :)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
This is impressive on all sorts of of levels.

You've come a long way since that youngster we met at the div meet :)

Thanks Mikey :) Just wanted to see what was possible in it!

Any chance of a web port at all at some point? ;) I even included the control scheme option (as I know that in browser some have issues with mouse control haha)

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:02 PM

I'll try to do a build for you soon. :)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
I'll try to do a build for you soon. :)

Hooray! Thanks :)

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 12:14 PM

WoW! You've done good.

I'm going to recommend you for a medal (Well one of those little star things that appear under our names anyway)
Mike! see to it.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  
WoW! You've done good.

I'm going to recommend you for a medal (Well one of those little star things that appear under our names anyway)
Mike! see to it.

Thank you! High praise indeed coming from yourself Dom :smilegrin:

The idea of keeping it all self contained is that hopefully, once things are finished and all bugs are ironed out, I'll be posting a few mini "tutorials" on the code snippets section for how to use the processes for different effects in mode 8. What variables to plug in, how to set up the .WLD, etc.

So whats your favourite bit of it? Though the light shaft spreading across the room from the window is kinda cool I don't think you can beat the flickering light casting a light shaft through the double doors :D

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 03:37 PM

Hello BreadCaster,

Excellent Tech-demo, I will use it for improvements to the mode8, like 32bits, etc... :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 08:57 PM

I haven't been round the whole map yet. (my computer is misbehaving and I couldn't manage the jumps on the crates.) so I can't say definitively but yes the big window was very cool. I'm impressed with some of the small details like the lamposts and the way you inset the swicthes. Also moving things around. (although I'd suggest that you use a single colour texture for the top of anything that moves so its texture doesn't slide.
I'll have to go exploring to find this flickering light you speak of as well as the animated walls.

By the way Mike, while you're at it, don't you think that CicTek deserves a couple more stars?
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 09:10 PM

By the way Mike, while you're at it, don't you think that CicTek deserves a couple more stars?

Agreed :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  
Hello BreadCaster,

Excellent Tech-demo, I will use it for improvements to the mode8, like 32bits, etc... :)

Hi CiCTek,
While you're at it could you consider putting some control over the field of view in too, much like the distance variable in the mode 7 structure? I had to abandon my plans to remake Orange Fight Arena out of Day of Defeat, featuring the Hello Kitty ensemble when I found out that I wouldn't be able make an authentic sniper scope.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 10:27 PM

Hello BreadCaster,

Hi CiCTek,
While you're at it could you consider putting some control over the field of view in too, much like the distance variable in the mode 7 structure? I had to abandon my plans to remake Orange Fight Arena out of Day of Defeat, featuring the Hello Kitty ensemble when I found out that I wouldn't be able make an authentic sniper scope.

What would be good is a way to set/change the luminosity on sector floors and roofs seperately, so rather than just one variable called luminosity there'd be "luminosity roof" and "luminosity floor". As it is I have to use a different texture for those light shafts :p

Also, dom: in regards to the sliding crates, what I'll be doing is making the box look kind of "chrome" and adding a mostly solid grey texture to the top, but striping it with a mock-specular highlight ^^ also there's not much past the jumping puzzle - however, the flickering light sector that I'd mentioned (with the light shaft streaming through the double doors) along with your swinging door sector code are displayed through some rooms that can only be accessed via crawling through the ventilation ducts on the upper level ;) go through the non automatic door in the main outdoor bit to get to the lift and go up there - where the crates and one of the demos of the 3d sound is (as in, which gets louder/quieter as you move towards/away from the source) :D

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 10:31 PM

Hello BreadCaster,

Hi CiCTek,

Hi Dom,

first of all thanks to the promotion request (and of course thanks to Mike for this). :)

As previously mentioned, the internal engine is strongly linked to 8bit mode, the first step is to refactor all the code to allow the support of 16/32bits of colour, we must also do all those features present in the engine that have been eliminated in mode8 , once this is done we can see what might be added.

Obviously if you wish to participate to add any features from the code you are welcome. :)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 11:16 PM

I mean, if there were to be a "feature" list, like things I'd love to see in mode 8 - well, textures with transparent areas and slopes would be one, as would be altering the luminosity of the floor or roof independantly of eachother. Translucent sectors or single walls so we could do things like glass would be good, but for now I have my sprite bars so :)

Aside from that, loading in 3D models would be good. A basic 3D shadowing engine - where it maps the sillouette of the model from a set "camera" (which you'd be able to set near a light source) which then maps onto two polygons on the floor, and then potentially another two polygons that would stretch upwards if the model got close to a wall - would be good. Mode 8 has no ability to use bumpy surfaces/bump mapped/displacement mapped textures so it would be theoretically possible to do this, without all the insane levels of detail that modern games use in their shadowing engines. But that's a loooong way in the future, if at all, haha.

For now I'd be happy with just having little dark semi-transparent circles on the floor underneath models :p

What I do know is that the plan for this engine is to firstly get those last few features done and bugs fixed, and then I'll wait until DivDX is capable of 32bit colour. Then I'll make a trial area to explore with original textures, just environmental puzzles, no enemies etc. Then, if 3D models ever find themselves in DivDX - either through a .dll/plugin or natively - I'll see if I can spin out a full game in it ^_^

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 11:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  
I mean, if there were to be a "feature" list, like things I'd love to see in mode 8 - well, textures with transparent areas and slopes would be one, as would be altering the luminosity of the floor or roof independantly of eachother. Translucent sectors or single walls so we could do things like glass would be good, but for now I have my sprite bars so :)

Texture transparent, for floor, walls, etc... should be simple.

slopes etc... is more complex, expecially depending on the type of engine implementation.

Aside from that, loading in 3D models would be good.

It should also be simple.

A basic 3D shadowing engine - where it maps the sillouette of the model from a set "camera" (which you'd be able to set near a light source) which then maps onto two polygons on the floor, and then potentially another two polygons that would stretch upwards if the model got close to a wall - would be good. Mode 8 has no ability to use bumpy surfaces/bump mapped/displacement mapped textures so it would be theoretically possible to do this, without all the insane levels of detail that modern games use in their shadowing engines. But that's a loooong way in the future, if at all, haha.

For now I'd be happy with just having little dark semi-transparent circles on the floor underneath models :p

The mode8 engine (VPE) is based on an old tecnology similar to Doom engine, is different to bump map, for this would probably be best to go directly with another more modern 3D engine.

What I do know is that the plan for this engine is to firstly get those last few features done and bugs fixed, and then I'll wait until DivDX is capable of 32bit colour. Then I'll make a trial area to explore with original textures, just environmental puzzles, no enemies etc. Then, if 3D models ever find themselves in DivDX - either through a .dll/plugin or natively - I'll see if I can spin out a full game in it ^_^

The new graphics engine for DivDX is already done, with full 16/32bits colour support (except mode8 at moment), now need to upgrade the core (interpreter and compiler) and 32-bit support in the IDE, once this is done, will be fully operational.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 13-12-2016 at 12:24 AM

A basic 3D shadowing engine - where it maps the sillouette of the model from a set "camera" (which you'd be able to set near a light source) which then maps onto two polygons on the floor, and then potentially another two polygons that would stretch upwards if the model got close to a wall - would be good. Mode 8 has no ability to use bumpy surfaces/bump mapped/displacement mapped textures so it would be theoretically possible to do this, without all the insane levels of detail that modern games use in their shadowing engines. But that's a loooong way in the future, if at all, haha.

True, but the reason I use Mode 8 rather than going to say, a full 3D engine is mostly because designing levels in this engine is so incredibly easy. I mean, aside from the bugs. :p

Hell, if there were commands to use so we could just map a sprite with a transparent texture to a pair of polygons, i'd see if i could make it myself :lol:

[Edited on 13-12-2016 by BreadCaster]

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 13-12-2016 at 01:04 AM

Well, has been used this engine/editor precisely because of its ease of creation levels.

For now try to see what you can implement directly in DivDX, once the engine updated, we'll see what we can add such features/api and what not.

Go To Top