Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Battle Zone Wireframe 3d
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 08:25 PM

I might have found that problem.

I think it could be caused by a bunch of structures that I prepared when I was planning to overhaul the engine. I soon gave up on the idea as I reckoned that the 'ahem' engine as it was would just about suffice for this project. Anyway, thinking about it I now realise that things started to misbehave a bit straight after I added these declarations. I think I was overloading the memory. Anyway, enough rambling. If you delete the struct declarations between line 109 and 201 (that is struct pool to struct flag) it might just fix the problem. Worth a try anyhow.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 10:02 PM

Removing those structs didnt help at all sadly

Not that it's much use:

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/bz26a.html

I have no fix in sight either :(
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 06:10 PM
Update

Here's an update. I think you'll agree it's pretty dang awesome.

BZFT07.PNG - 5kB

Attachment: BZ FT.zip (623kB)
This file has been downloaded 5021 times

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 06:45 PM

Bloody hell Dom that is nothing short of stunning, absolutely beautiful

Still doesnt work in a browser though, which is a real shame. It's going to be keeping me up all night trying to fix it!
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 12:59 AM

As promised

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/bzft42.html

Looking beautiful in a browser Dom :)
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 10:14 AM

both looks and runs brilliantly :D shame it's got no computer AI opponent! but still very impressive. One bug i've found though - drive into a wall fast enough and you get stuck in it, as in appear to be outside the wall but the arrow keys/WSAD do not work for getting "unstuck" and driving away.

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 10:16 AM

Good job.
Posted at 1.59 am. You weren't kidding about staying up all night.
By the way, if you change the gamestate value to -1 (just before the main loop) )you get a cool intro.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 10:27 AM

Thanks Breadcaster-
I'll sort out the bug, I have a good idea why that's happening.
I know what you mean about the AI thing but at the same time my philosophy is that games ought to be about interaction. Not saying there's no place for solo stuff. Obviously there is but to me it's a different class of activity using the common medium of the computer screen.. Having said all that, I'll probably put in a single player "practice" mode. and not just because I haven't got any mates.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  

I know what you mean about the AI thing but at the same time my philosophy is that games ought to be about interaction. Not saying there's no place for solo stuff. Obviously there is but to me it's a different class of activity using the common medium of the computer screen.. Having said all that, I'll probably put in a single player "practice" mode. and not just because I haven't got any mates.

As much as I like multiplayer, some of us don't have any friends who enjoy PC gaming and so will never have the experience of two people crowding round a keyboard. Multiplayer online could work, but again you'd need an opponent, and I'm not even sure if the multiplayer/online feature Mike was talking about is fully implemented yet :p

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  
Multiplayer online could work, but again you'd need an opponent, and I'm not even sure if the multiplayer/online feature Mike was talking about is fully implemented yet :p

Well, it sort of does work, but I need to create a "game server" to allow adhoc connections. This should theoretically work between any platforms and any game.. But I've had issues with the web version of this, which is a setback.

Running two copies on a local machine works though...
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  

Running two copies on a local machine works though...

That would be cool but does a local machine mean a single machine or a local network?

In the meantime, I'll put single player mode on the to do list.
By the way, any comments please. I've been tweaking it a bit and seem to go round in circles with my ideas. For example the radar thing has got a few versions. Right now I'm opting for the local coordinate version where the player is at the centre and I personally think its better when only the enemy is shown up (more like the original too). Then there's the fog or fade distance, this can be adjusted by changing the fog global variable. I like the stealth aspect of having a low visibility range but I think that in the end it's too hard like that. I've speeded up the reloading too.

Attachment: BZ FT.zip (672kB)
This file has been downloaded 5042 times

less fog.PNG - 6kB
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  

As much as I like multiplayer, some of us don't have any friends who enjoy PC gaming ....

I KNOW, What the heck is wrong with people?
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 06:49 PM

Dom, I'm currently working on a new WIP upload feature which will allow people to upload their games and have them compiled to the various platforms. The options will be an archive of some sort (zip), or a github repo link.

So soon you'll be able to upload and generate your own weblinks and platform downloads :)

Your latest version is now up online

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/battlezone.html

[Edited on 9-6-2016 by MikeDX]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 06:55 PM

That would be cool but does a local machine mean a single machine or a local network?

Well it means the same machine in its current state but once the game server is up and running it will be from any version of the game running, like a matchmaking mode where basically if you start the game and somebody else does, you'll ge paired up. Or more than one pair... or pairs of pairs, or groups, or whatever you want it to be.

Short version is the implementation of this is actually dead easy. The hard part is getting the server to cooperate :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 10:29 PM

Good news!
Now when you die you go to heaven!

Ascension.PNG - 8kB
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 06:54 PM
Today's update.

Try running out of ammo and fuel.

Attachment: BZ FT (copy).zip (615kB)
This file has been downloaded 5156 times

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 07:05 PM

Dom, I'm currently working on a new WIP upload feature which will allow people to upload their games and have them compiled to the various platforms. The options will be an archive of some sort (zip), or a github repo link.

So soon you'll be able to upload and generate your own weblinks and platform downloads :)

[Edited on 9-6-2016 by MikeDX]

Wow, Impressive, You deserve a lot of credit for what you're doing here. I don't know how you manage this whole DIV project single-handedly. I'm getting bogged down with this, what was supposed to be a weekend project. Still, I'm pretty happy with it by now. I reckon It will be done in a week or two. Then comes the next one.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 11:24 PM

Wow, Impressive, You deserve a lot of credit for what you're doing here. I don't know how you manage this whole DIV project single-handedly.

No Dom, I've told you before, It's not good, or clever, it's pure sadness :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 06:10 AM

[/rquote]

No Dom, I've told you before, It's not good, or clever, it's pure sadness :)

Said with a smiley?!

"In the path of our happiness we shall find the learning for which we have chosen this lifetime."

(Donald Shimoda)

But last time you said it was madness not sadness and if it's madness then I reckon it's of the Magnificent sort,

[Edited on 11-6-2016 by dom cook]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 12:40 PM

I definitely mean sadness as in sad (slang) and not sad unhappy :) or mad if you like, both equally acceptable.

Dom are there any function that DIV is lacking that you think would have made this easier? I'm trying to find ways to get it to run a bit quicker on lower end machines but it's pushing an awful lot of maths around, so you may have an idea on what we could do :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 03:27 PM

Dom are there any function that DIV is lacking that you think would have made this easier? I'm trying to find ways to get it to run a bit quicker on lower end machines but it's pushing an awful lot of maths around, so you may have an idea on what we could do :)

I guess the thing is, I started it as a proof of concept (i.e. can I do 3d stuff without floats) So it wasn't built for speed. I do have a second framework ready which would be faster but I can't face the process of transplanting at this stage. Also as far as development is concerned I want to strike a balance between the game and the engine.

It would help if I knew a bit more about how DIV works - you know what slows it down.

The other thing is I don't really know what DIV can do already to make things faster. For instance is using pointers an advantage in terms of speeding things up.

Having said that, for sure some vector handling functions would be welcome.

Can the drawing commands be improved? Managing texts and draw objects using delete_text delete_draw can be a bit awkward. A nice rewrite of the draw commands would be wonderful along with the possibility for filled and even textured primitives / triangles.

Got to go. I'll work on a list.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 03:46 PM

If you've got ideas for draw, i'm happy to hear them. Getting DIV to be the best it can be is of the utmost importance :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 11:14 AM

Well I've been for a walk in the trees and have come back with a handful if ideas on how to speed things up. For example, I've figured a way of possibly using native DIV functions in place of some of the most maths intensive custom stuff. I'll work on implementing it all soon but probably not before I get the gameplay itself sorted. As far as that's concerned, I'm almost there.

I'll be in touch about draw functions.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 11:22 AM

Sounds good to me. We can test some of your ideas in a DLL before we decide to put them in the core. It would be very cool to have a vector mode in DIV that was easy to use like mode7 and mode8
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 15-6-2016 at 08:20 PM

That's me on the left. The good looking one.

crew.PNG - 8kB
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top