Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Nightly build bug reports
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 23-1-2017 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RKSoft  
I use/d the follow version: div-beta-nightly-2016-12-01-dc8b7e5a77-win32

Found follow bugs:
- bad fps drops (2 - 5) when running a prg with F10 from DIV DX (window and fullscreen)
- the keys for [ ] (on german keyboard on 8 and 9 with ALT GR) doesn't work in prg editor, so i must set this chars per Notepad++ (later per copy & paste)
- PNG, GIF, JPEG doesn't work, why?
- map export to bmp still doesn't work correct!

Urgently needed:
- 16/32 bit graphic support (bad convertings from that to 8 bit)!
- XInput support (for PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and Xbox One controllers)
- higher scale of the map editor (at 1920x1080 that isn't big currently)

I know MikeDX and Cictec have a real life but if you want DIV popular, we need some new games/programs that shows the features of this great engine. Currently i play with a little code by Mike (jump man tutorial). I will improve that code and extend it to a demo game for new users. Maybe, i will make a version with tiles and a tile-editor for.

Best regards ;)
RK

Thanks for the report! It's much easier to fix bugs when they are reported.

The input may be something we can configure for [ and ] inputs. I think it currently works on scancode. It's possible that the SDL2 version is better at this as it works on ascii (or unicode?) inputs rather than scancodes which are usually locale dependant.

I have a real job nowadays, unlike before when I was not employed and could spend full time on DIV but sadly that did not pay the bills!

Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 23-1-2017 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
I use/d the follow version: div-beta-nightly-2016-12-01-dc8b7e5a77-win32

Found follow bugs:
- bad fps drops (2 - 5) when running a prg with F10 from DIV DX (window and fullscreen)
- the keys for [ ] (on german keyboard on 8 and 9 with ALT GR) doesn't work in prg editor, so i must set this chars per Notepad++ (later per copy & paste)
- PNG, GIF, JPEG doesn't work, why?
- map export to bmp still doesn't work correct!

Urgently needed:

I know MikeDX and Cictec have a real life but if you want DIV popular, we need some new games/programs that shows the features of this great engine. Currently i play with a little code by Mike (jump man tutorial). I will improve that code and extend it to a demo game for new users. Maybe, i will make a version with tiles and a tile-editor for.

Best regards ;)
RK

Thanks for the report! It's much easier to fix bugs when they are reported.

The input may be something we can configure for [ and ] inputs. I think it currently works on scancode. It's possible that the SDL2 version is better at this as it works on ascii (or unicode?) inputs rather than scancodes which are usually locale dependant.

I have a real job nowadays, unlike before when I was not employed and could spend full time on DIV but sadly that did not pay the bills!

The graphic editor really needs two things:

-Correct the DIV2 bug that converts "black color" into "transparent color" when loading a new palette.

-Increase the zoom in the image editor. In high resolutions like 1024x768, the 8x zoom is not enough, it looks small, we need at least 16x or 32x.

BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dani_Karmann  

The graphic editor really needs two things:

-Correct the DIV2 bug that converts "black color" into "transparent color" when loading a new palette.

I think we need to have an ability to turn transparency off and on in images, as having a transparent color in the pallete is really useful at present if you want to make non-square images. Dani, what you could do is make a really dark color, maybe with values 1,1,1 and use that instead :)

It's understandable Mikey, its a shame though as I'd really hoped to be working with the full/true color version of DivDx soonish (although Id had no set idea of when!). My cyberpunk dystopian raycast-y game has so many levels designed now on paper haha :punk:

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 09:38 AM

Having all day every day to work on DIV was great, but sadly i was literally starving to death
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 10:08 AM

Urgently needed:

Best regards ;)
RK

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  

It's understandable Mikey, its a shame though as I'd really hoped to be working with the full/true color version of DivDx soonish (although Id had no set idea of when!). My cyberpunk dystopian raycast-y game has so many levels designed now on paper haha :punk:

As mentioned earlier, the mayor problem of the 16/32bits support is to have a more modern compiler/interpreter, the graphics engine is not a problem, but especially the 32bits hardware accelerated nowadays require use of floating-points data, add this support to the current code-base is very difficult, it would be easier to rewrite the entire compiler/interpreter and at this point see what version 3 of DIV should really be and what support from earlier versions, but it requires enough time.
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 02:48 PM

Thanks for your replies.

@Cictec
Do you work currently on DIV? How can we help?

@Mike
Reallife should priority number 1! After that, the privates and hobbies come ;). It is okay when you have not enough time at this moment.
I asked you how can i help? What about DIV-Arena? It will be nice when we can upload new wips and games to site. If i allowed to do moderator for that or someone other that want that will be nice and the site will be activily as before.

[Edited on 24-1-2017 by RKSoft]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 05:43 PM

Thanks for your replies.

@Cictec
Do you work currently on DIV? How can we help?

Actually work in the DIV languages development ​​for over 15 years now :) and I still do, in the case of DivDX, on what could be the new graphics engine with support for 16/32bit and mode8 refactoring, but as mentioned to assemble all, first need to have new a more modern compiler/interpreter to add all the new technologies and determine what version 3 of DIV should be and what to possibly support from earlier versions.

Excluding that someone has the appropriate knowledge, this rewrite of the core should be done by me or Mike (or both), but first we should have the time to organize how and what should be done, this is what is lacking at present.

Essentially what is missing right now is the time to do certain things, this problem could only be solved:

1) Addition of other programmers who might collaborate in the project, so as to reduce the workload and thus the time required.
2) Have any economic funds to deal with DIV as real work and thus have more time.

Let's say you could help in any way that you feel can. :)
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 06:01 PM

Languages i know are HTML, PHP, PAWN, DIV, Blitz BASIC, Commodore BASIC but no c++ or similar, sorry. :(

[Edited on 24-1-2017 by RKSoft]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 06:25 PM

Roland if you know PHP maybe you can help with the development of the div-arena site itself. It is written in a PHP framework called cakephp.

we need a new system for uploading wips and automating the builds (I think that may be too complex to ask of you) and of course moderation would be a great help

would that be something you might be interested in?
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 06:33 PM

Roland if you know PHP maybe you can help with the development of the div-arena site itself. It is written in a PHP framework called cakephp.

we need a new system for uploading wips and automating the builds (I think that may be too complex to ask of you) and of course moderation would be a great help

would that be something you might be interested in?

I was going to suggest it, you may also cooperate in the creation of some examples (tutorials, mini game or other), and possibly in the documentation, there are a lot of things where you can work together. :)
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 25-1-2017 at 03:14 PM

First, why not using a CMS? Take a look at wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_sys...
I use wordpress for my homepage. ;)

Documentations? My english isn't so good for that i think. I can make one in german and someone can translate them?
Moderation (forum, files, sitenews etcl.), yes, sure, of course!
Tutorials? I work on and try my best for more tutorials.

I think helping with the DIV engine isn't a good plan else bugreports!

@Off topic
Why not concentrate on 1 or 2 systems (linux and windows) or maybe a 3. (macos), optimizing and bugfixing the div engine and then make ports for other systems?

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 25-1-2017 at 03:47 PM

Documentations? My english isn't so good for that i think. I can make one in german and someone can translate them?

Also have a documentation in German would help, for ingles version, mike and other people of the native language are more suitable.

Tutorials? I work on and try my best for more tutorials.

Well, this also helps enough. :)

@Off topic
Why not concentrate on 1 or 2 systems (linux and windows) or maybe a 3. (macos), optimizing and bugfixing the div engine and then make ports for other systems?

The porting on platforms is not normally a problem, the 95% of the code is always the same for all, can change the remaining 5% depending on the platform.

The bug depends on what can be easy to correct or difficult (maybe different pieces of code must be rewritten).

The hardest thing is to add new features, and here as said DIV need a more modern core.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 26-1-2017 at 03:45 PM

well i mean if there were a gofundme or patreon or somthing set up id be happy to occasionallly throw some money into it yeah, though really its about how much would be needed to rewrite the core. I would imagine its more time than monies.

id love to make some full games in Divdx but until i can basically use photoshop and other third party programs to make graphics for Div it really isnt likely to happen.... because I find using the Div image editor torturous and all attempts to make things in 256 colours in PS have been rejected by Div sadly :(

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 11:27 AM

well i mean if there were a gofundme or patreon or somthing set up id be happy to occasionallly throw some money into it yeah, though really its about how much would be needed to rewrite the core. I would imagine its more time than monies.

Is mainly a matter of time, Mike is very busy by new work and I have periods with more free time and periods with less.

id love to make some full games in Divdx but until i can basically use photoshop and other third party programs to make graphics for Div it really isnt likely to happen.... because I find using the Div image editor torturous and all attempts to make things in 256 colours in PS have been rejected by Div sadly :(

I understand you.

I'm continuing to work for now in what would be the graphics engine and the mode8 refactoring, we hope to soon have the time to the new core.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  

Is mainly a matter of time, Mike is very busy by new work and I have periods with more free time and periods with less.

I understand you.

I'm continuing to work for now in what would be the graphics engine and the mode8 refactoring, we hope to soon have the time to the new core.

Fantastic! well its good to know that progress is being made behind the scenes even if it is a bit slow :) if you had a paypal donate button or something I'd be more than happy to toss some money for coffee your way! :smilegrin: <3

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 01:55 PM

I've run into the same problem with other graphic editors. If you run your images through Libre Office (They have a draw program) you can get a 256 colour version of them that DIV likes.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  

I've run into the same problem with other graphic editors. If you run your images through Libre Office (They have a draw program) you can get a 256 colour version of them that DIV likes.

Dom saves the day again!! Thanks a lot. I might play around with it a bit after all :)

Was thinking of making a basic mode 8 game where you hop from rooftop to rooftop, and I might be able to actually have a go at it now :) still probably wont be making a full thing until 32 bit colour is in but its definitely a place to start!

RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 06:44 PM

Bugreport: div-beta-nightly-2016-12-01-dc8b7e5a77-win32

- bug in write/write_int - sometimes it crashes, sometimes not *strange oO

Test this with my little smb program please. If i had a bug in please report!

Attachment: SMB.zip (571kB)
This file has been downloaded 2798 times

[Edited on 27-1-2017 by RKSoft]

Okay, found bug in dead animation of enemies. But the process explorer shows wrong values about active process. The number is invalid.

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 07:41 PM

Bugreport: div-beta-nightly-2016-12-01-dc8b7e5a77-win32

- bug in write/write_int - sometimes it crashes, sometimes not *strange oO

Test this with my little smb program please. If i had a bug in please report!

Okay, found bug in dead animation of enemies. But the process explorer shows wrong values about active process. The number is invalid.

In my machine it does not appear a crash, but the game freezes (as if it came into infinite loop) when you are killed by an enemy (this happens randomly, however).

see some correlation with the current bug?
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 28-1-2017 at 01:04 PM

I took the dead animation code and put it into the main process (ie: player_deadth into player, goomba_death into goomba and koopa_death into koopa). Now, it works without infinite loops and crashs. But, why? oO

And the process explorer should be fixed. At game start, it show 58 processes. This is okay and the real value. After restart (killed or ESC), it shows different value.

Example:
Player goes some pixel till first goomba dissappear on the left site. Player was killed by next goomba. Game restarts. Process explorer does not show 58 processes!

[Edited on 28-1-2017 by RKSoft]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 28-1-2017 at 09:09 PM

I carried out some tests.

The number of initial processes is 60, if it is less, something is not created correctly.

1) It depends on which goomba is killed, the debugger displays fewer processes than expected, for example 2, 3, 6, this seems to suggest it is deleted more than a process of this kind, or that the debugger does not display the correct number.
2) Depends on which goomba is killed earlier, when the player process is killed, the program hangs in an endless loop.
3) Trying to remark all the "dead" code (code calls and processes), the random block does not occur, however, the number of deleted processes continues to be random.

Everything seems to suggest some kind of bug in the process task manager or some manipulation functions (COLLISION, LET_ME_ALONE, etc...).

@RKSoft, if you can, please perform these tests.

1) Reset the original code (with previous animations).
2) When the game starts, open the debugger to display the number of active processes (should be 60), the number of goomba should be 15.
3) Do not kill the first goomba, he tries to kill the second, then open the debugger again to see how many processes are running (and how many goomba).
4) Then press ESC, in my PC due to the exit from the game and back into the environment of DIV.
5) If step 4 ends the execution of the game, then start it again, repeat steps 2 and 3, and then tries to kill the 4th goomba, then open the debugger again to see how many processes are running (and how many goomba).

These tests are used to see if the execution the same in different machines and OS or if there are other changes.

[Edited on 28-1-2017 by CicTec]
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 01:20 PM

I took the dead animation code from _goomba_death into the main goomba process (same for koopa) and it works without crashs or freezes. It is strange because i must set some animation into a seperate process.

@process explorer
on first start, its 60 process = okay
when an enemy is leaving the left site of the scrolling window = process ends for this enemy and the explorer shows correct values
when i was killed (by esc, an enemy or by falling out the screen), an enemy left the scrolling screen and the game restarts = the process explorer shows 59 processes

This is strange because after a restart of the game it shows all 60 processes correctly on screen but not in the process explorer!
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 07:41 PM

So, i tested this bug again, but with Malvado.
I jumped on a bear, the stars appears and i pressed ESC to quit. The game freezes again. So, i think it is a bug in stop_scroll() function!

Same on DIV Beta 12 and Beta 13!!!

Please fixed this, so i can continue my work here ;).

[Edited on 29-1-2017 by RKSoft]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 08:34 PM

This is very interesting findings. Can you test with any older builds of DIV? I don't recall any big change like that happening so it's likely if it is introduced it is from an unset c variable or a c vartype change
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 09:37 PM

So, i changed some thing in code and now it works perfect. I release the next beta here next day because i will finish some thing.

The bug occurs when process created but the main game isn't ready to go! The stop_scroll() bug isn't realy a bug. But this feature(1) occurs on Malvado, too!!!
I added a little loop into all process. This will wait until all process created and the setup_level is finish. The var PROGRAM_CONTINUE will set to true and the main loop with all process started his work.

And finally, the process explorer shows all 88 processes every start/kill/win etcl.! :)

I used this process-waiting in Big Mac, too! I find that there and it works. Strange, but it is logic because when process was created it run immediately, of course. ;)

So, i think we should make a sticky post with this information for all DIV users or not?

@Mike
I tested Malvado with DIV Beta 12, Beta 13 and the last nighty build (see above). Same errors/freezes! I should test it with DIV2 under DOSBOX in the next days. I hope there is this bug too, so we need a fix for the engine not the port.

[Edited on 29-1-2017 by RKSoft]
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top