Downloads
Tutorials
Add to Favourites

Submit news

DIV ARENA FORUMS
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do any code example of 3D maps?
330x
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 02:47 PM
Do any code example of 3D maps?

I searched an example to move on a map 3d .wld but can not find any online.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 11:45 AM

There are examples in the help, but at the moment the only build that supports Mode8 properly is the DOS version.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 11:44 PM

Is there the possibility of integrating something within DIVDX that could be used to replace Mode8 - a 3D library of some kind more akin to a simpler version of the original Quake engine? Or is that indefinitely going to have to be something to be accessed via loading external libraries? I know the original DIV 1 & 2 were purely software rendered only but I don't know if DIVDX has access to hardware rendering, or if that's likely to make it much easier to integrate. Just wondering :)
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 11:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  
Is there the possibility of integrating something within DIVDX that could be used to replace Mode8 - a 3D library of some kind more akin to a simpler version of the original Quake engine?

I'm looking into all options at the moment. There are some very cool 3D engines out there but finding the ones that fits in DIV nicely is a challenge. It is still possible we could see the original MODE8 put back into DIV and then a new 3D engine (mode 9?) plugged in after that.

Or is that indefinitely going to have to be something to be accessed via loading external libraries?

I would imagine both are possible.

I know the original DIV 1 & 2 were purely software rendered only but I don't know if DIVDX has access to hardware rendering, or if that's likely to make it much easier to integrate. Just wondering :)

Eventually DIVDX will be fully hardware accelerated anyway with each process graph being a texture.. We have lots of options once we got 32bit and HW Accelerated.
Dazzy
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 10:46 PM

It will be interesting to see where all this goes, I confess I hadn't looked at any of the old systems in years and I see most if not all are open source now.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 11:31 PM

Sadly open source doesn't necessarily mean we can use it. Anything GPL is a no go, but LGPL is possible via a dll. Anything *really* open source, is of course quite possible.
vedutadesign
DIV Newbie

[*] posted on 29-9-2016 at 11:51 AM

Is there the possibility of integrating something within DIVDX that could be used to replace Mode8 - a 3D library of some kind more akin to a simpler version of the original Quake engine? Or is that indefinitely going to have to be something to be accessed via loading external libraries? I know the original DIV 1 & 2 were purely software rendered only but I don't know if DIVDX has access to hardware rendering, or if that's likely to make it much easier to integrate. Just wondering :)

[Edited on 29-9-2016 by vedutadesign]

vedutadesign
DIV Newbie

[*] posted on 29-9-2016 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
Sadly open source doesn't necessarily mean we can use it. Anything GPL is a no go, but LGPL is possible via a dll. Anything *really* open source, is of course quite possible.

okay thanks!

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 29-9-2016 at 02:49 PM

DIV actually supports mode8 officially now in all builds, and works as well as the original DOS version.

I have been looking at Urho3D to integrate to create a more up to date 3D engine that would be hardware accelerated and a lot more flexible than mode8. I believe we could also convert mode8 .wld maps to a new format, converting mode8 walls to real time walls and objects, which should look really nice. The textures will still be 8bit, but they may look better because of how they are rendered.

Go To Top