Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Golf game WIP.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 17-1-2017 at 05:05 PM
Golf game WIP.

THIS PROJECT IS BACK IN DEVELOPMENT (as of 21/04/21)

This is a screen-shot of an editor I've been working on (on and off) ever since I misunderstood what Mike meant by "code golf". It's for a golf game which will have a tabletop perspective. I got the ball physics down pretty quickly but then I was faced with designing and producing a bunch of holes. I concluded that it would be quickest and easiest to make a little editor. I think I was wrong on both counts but I'm persisting with it anyway.

The editor creates and saves the maps in a vector format to save space and allow for the game to have a lot of holes/courses. It can make hole maps really quickly and it will be easy go back and tweak them later.

ed.PNG - 12kB

[Edited on 16-2-2019 by dom cook]

Time to have another crack at this one.

[Edited on 22-4-2021 by dom cook]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 17-1-2017 at 09:01 PM

This look great dom. Yes code golf is more about fewest bytes of code, not actual golf but i like it.

Vinic made a nice golf game in DIV years ago, its great to see another approach!
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 01:43 PM

Looks interest. Keep us up to date with information please. :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RKSoft  
Looks interest. Keep us up to date with information please. :)

For Sure,
I'll post the .prg/wip in the not too distant future (as soon as it's stablised). It would be helpful to get a bit of feedback.
Thanks for the motivation.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  

Vinic made a nice golf game in DIV years ago, its great to see another approach!

I remember it. This one is inspired by the first golf game I played - on the Intellivision (remember that). It remains the best golf game I've played.

chipshot.gif - 5kB
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 08:34 PM

The sega master system had a cool gold game, I bet we could do a remake in DIV of that.

Let's face it, anything 8 or 16 bit (and even a bit beyond) is easily doable in DIV. the SNES only has an on-screen palette of 256 colours!
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 19-1-2017 at 10:10 AM

Looks very nice Dom, we hope to have a playable version soon.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  

I'd like to think so. I'll aim to post a driving range or something as soon as I can get a solid couple of hours to refamiliarise myself with some code I need to work on.

Here's are some images of the editor at work in which I'm using the image of the hole I posted from the original game as a template. Actually; in doing this I realise that I could have used the actual holes from the original game directly in the game and then I wouldn't have needed the editor at all.

chipshot1.PNG - 16kB

[Edited on 22-1-2017 by dom cook]

chipshot2.PNG - 13kB
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 08:16 PM

What are the controls going to be on this dom? It looks like it could make a nice 3DS game
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 09:35 PM

The original controls were ultra simple, They used up/down to change club left/right to change direction of aim. The swing was controlled with a single action key. holding it in made the club swing up then releasing it made it swing back down, to control hook/ slice you would press it again either before or just after you hit the ball, The amount of time before or after determined the degree of hook/slice.
For me, it was the game's simplicity that made it (in my eyes) such a classic so I would aim to copy this control set up. I would have thought that that would be quite suitable for the 3ds.

Anyway, as soon as the editor and the game code are singing from the same score card, I'll post it all and you'll be able to muck about with it and set your own controls. If you want to make it a 3ds game and you have any other suggestions regarding tailoring it (i don't know such as resolution) let me know.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 23-1-2017 at 08:04 PM

The only issue with the 3DS is that the resolution is quite small

upper screen is 400x240 and the lower is 320x240. The 3DS port of DIV is taking slighting longer than I'd like due to being knackered when I get back from work but I'll get there soon.

One idea is to have the lower screen of the 3DS as a virtual keyboard and have the ability to map buttons / d-pad to different key inputs.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 12:54 PM

I know what you mean about being too knackered.

The screen-shot from the original was 320x200 so it might be nice to do more of a remake proper using the original holes. There'd even be enough room to display the score card underneath.

I'd say it would make sense to map the cursor keys to the D-pad, then maybe shift and ctrl to the 2 action buttons.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 25-1-2017 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  
Quote: Originally posted by CicTec  

I'd like to think so. I'll aim to post a driving range or something as soon as I can get a solid couple of hours to refamiliarise myself with some code I need to work on.

Here's are some images of the editor at work in which I'm using the image of the hole I posted from the original game as a template. Actually; in doing this I realise that I could have used the actual holes from the original game directly in the game and then I wouldn't have needed the editor at all.

[Edited on 22-1-2017 by dom cook]

Very interesting Dom, the game will provide an integrated level editor, for example to create "expansions" ?
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 26-1-2017 at 07:50 PM

The original idea was to have the editor as tool but it's now at the stage where the game is effectively a sub section of the editor they will be integrated. As far as expansions go, this would certainly make it possible to at least design ones own courses, The editor could also be used to design and export maps for other purposes. It would just require a reader function which understood the image format I'm using.

As things are I've reserved enough space for 8 courses with 18 holes each. So perhaps the game could come with a few pre-made courses and a few blank ones for the player to design.

The previous images showed page 2 of the editor which is the page where you layout a hole
There are also pages
0 (intro) where you select the course you want to edit
1 where you select the hole
3 where you test the hole

These images show pages 0 and 1.

I'm hoping to upload what I've got in a day or so. But as it stands it needs quite a lot of tidying up first.

golfed.PNG - 8kB golfed1.PNG - 7kB

[Edited on 26-1-2017 by dom cook]
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 11:14 AM

It seems a good choice Dom, game viewing will be as we see it now or will have a more detailed graphics. ?
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 02:13 PM

The view will be as it is now, but I'm planning for a bit more detail to add a little life. I don''t intend for the individual patches of ground to be single coloured. Keeping with the theme of the game being played on a sheet of paper I'd like to somehow give it a hand drawn look but that will involve writing some code to simulate this. I don't know how much of a challenge that would be so I might end up going for something simpler.
Right now, I've been somewhat sidetracked with a couple of jobs but I mean to crack on with this as soon as.
Thanks for the show of interest, it stops me relegating and ultimately abandoning this project.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 27-1-2017 at 06:21 PM

The idea of ​​the graphics in hand drawing style might give a touch of originality and attractiveness more, remember a game in mode8 developed many years ago by a well known enough DIV user, he simply drew by hand on paper all the textures for the game, then did a scan on files and loaded in FPG to be used, the result was very original.

I do not know if you can use the same technique or need some code routines, maybe a test could give directions.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 21-4-2021 at 07:08 PM

It's been 4 years since I lost this project due to sudden computer death syndrome. Looking through the thread I'm quite impressed with how it looked. So I've decided to have another go at it. Obviously it would be nice if I'd gotten round to posting some code here but as I recall the code was really messy so it would probably have been a bit hard to get my head around anyway. As things are I remember the basic approach I took so re-writing from scratch shouldn't be to hard and will most likely result it better code.
This is what I've got so far.

Attachment: SNAP0001.PCX (29kB)
This file has been downloaded 0 times

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 22-4-2021 at 09:11 AM

Somethings up with the image posting. Either that or I've forgotten how to do it.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 22-4-2021 at 09:13 AM

See what I mean?

Attachment: sshot1 (784kB)
This file has been downloaded 0 times

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 22-4-2021 at 10:03 AM

no, they are not seen

Go To Top