Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Work in project: Floral Magician Marybell
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 26-11-2016 at 09:14 PM
Work in project: Floral Magician Marybell

This come from the "screenshots" and the "Technical Q & A" sections. I decided to move it to the "WIP" section.

As you know, I'm trying to make this game, but I have a big problem: My project of the game is VERY big. This was created in 2014, but, being a "reduced version", it's only at 14% approx.

Things needed to do:

-Write all the dialogs (using the "write character per character" routine)
-Define all the 64 missions
-Draw all the portraits and mugshots of the characters
-Make new maps from 0 using tiles
-Draw all the town with the people and all the world map
-Polish the life and magic bars, the animation of Marybell, etc.
-And some other things

I need people to help me make this game. I can draw the portraits, define the game script, etc. This post will be only for this game.

This is the plot of the game:

Marybell is a little witch that lives in the town of Sunnybell. She lives in a magic house outside the town. One day she goes to the town to see her friends and play, like every day. But a strange light appears and creates a strange freezing wind. The entire town is freezed, but Marybell's magic protect herself of being freezed too. But, who made this? Who freezes the town? Marybell returns home, she wants to use the magic power inside the house to connect to the Magic World and speak to the witches searching for help. But she cannot connect with the Magic World, due to a strang interference. She only can barely speak with a witch named Floria by using a broken crystal ball. Floria says that the possible culprit of the town freezing could be Zordon, the Evil Wizard, an enemy of the witches. But, in order to fight him, Marybell needs to increase her power. Then, she needs to collect 64 magic flowers to restore the connection between the two worlds and increase her powers and abilities.
Now is time to restore the connection between the two worlds, unfreeze the town and the people and fight Zordon.

GAME SYSTEM:

Do you remember "Super Mario 64"? Well, the game system works the same; but there is a difference: Marybell can gain levels of experience, magic abilities like the Double Jump, and increase her life and magic levels. With the Magic Abilities she can reach new map zones.

You have some missions in every stage. If you are succesful completing a mission, you will be rewarded with a Magic Flower. Collect all 64 Magic Flowers and then you can fight Zordon the Wizard.

But... there is a big surprise! Zordon was only receiving orders... who freezes the town then???

The game system is a mix between "Super Mario 64", "Castlevania symphony of the night" and "Dragon Quest 8".

Stages in the game:

1.-The Magic World
2.-The Beach
3.-The Mayan ruins
4.-The Music world
5.-Aqua Land
6.-The desert
7.-The Sweet labyrinth
8.-The electronic circuit
9.-The space
10.-The ruined beach
11.-Block Land
12.-The flooded castle
13.-The vulcan
14.-Megalopolis
15.-(Not decided yet)
16.-??? (Mystery)

And, like in SM64, there will be "mini-stages".

Marybell can gain some magic abilities. Some examples:

1.- Fairy scroll: it shows the name of your enemies
2.- Claw: you can hang from cornices and ropes
3.- Lizard: you can crawl and evade enemy attacks. It also lets you pass through narrow passages.
4.- White Thunder Horn: This magic Horn lets you call White Thunder, a Magical Unicorn. You can ride on him when exploring the World map to gain speed.
5.- Helmet: you can do a Head attack to knock little enemies and break some blocks.
6.- Magic wings: you can fly in the world map
7.- Siren scale: transform into a siren and dive underwater
8.- Double jump: make a second jump in mid-air.
9.- Hyper jump: make a big jump to reach high platforms.
10.- Air attack: make a big jump attack to reach high platforms and attack flying enemies.
And some others.

As you see, this is such a big project and I need some help. Div is an easy tool but there are a lot of things that I don't know how to do and your help will be appreciated.

In fact, I want to make this game in 3D, but for now I will concentrate on the 2D version.

dos4gw_001.png - 302kB dos4gw_002.png - 302kB
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 11:21 AM

Hello Dani_Karmann,

Very nice project, when we could try the first demo ? :)
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 03:10 PM

The .prg is already playable, but the RPG parts of the game are not implemented yet. You can play the main stages, gain some abilities, get experience points, etc. All the worlds are selected by using magic portals, like in "Mario 64", and you can get a few Magic Flowers. But there is still a lot of work to do.

Things already done:

-Marybell sprites
-14 of the 16 magic attacks of Marybell
-Maps of the Beach, the desert and the Sweet Labyrinth completed
-The Level Up and Save systems.
-Some sound effects
-The music tracks for every world
-A few missions
-Some abilities

But there is still work to do, so I'm asking you for help, I will be very grateful if you help me with this project helping me to make the different parts of the game, I cannot do all the work alone. This post was created with the idea of showing the advances of the game, until it's finished.

If you want I can send you a demo, but keep in mind that the game is still in a Beta state. I have no much time to program due to my job.

BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 03:41 PM

So it's basically a Metroidvania style game where you play as a floral princess and gain access to different areas? Sounds awesome :D

What I would say - and this goes for EVERY game that anyone makes imo - is go watch a few videos from Extra Credits. This one in particular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvCri1tqIxQ

Try to work out for your game, what is the Minimum Viable Product? Basically meaning that you need to work out what the basic functions and gameplay will be like. Once you've got that worked out and a quick and user friendly way to say, write new dialogue boxes, put new portraits in, make new levels, etc, it'll make making the rest of the game a cinch.

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BreadCaster  
So it's basically a Metroidvania style game where you play as a floral princess and gain access to different areas? Sounds awesome :D

That is, this is the plot of the game. Explore the world, visit Marybell's Magic House and other locations searching the Magic Portals, and entering them to access different magic worlds (like in "Super Mario 64").

It's a mix between "SM64" (collecting magic flowers instead of stars), Metroidvania (explore areas while gaining magic abilities), and a RPG game like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy (exploring the world, talking to people, gaining levels of experience... except that you don't fight against monsters, they're inside the Magic Worlds).

Marybell searches the origin of the power that freezes the town. In the first part of the game, she cannot go outside the town due to a rock collapse. When she get the magic that lets her set aside the rocks, she discovers that the freezing affects not only the town of Sunybell, but the entire planet!.

In the game you have to increase your power, talk to the few people that was not freezed, and collecting all the Magic Flowers.

Marybell gains some magic abilities and finally discovers who was the real culprit and finally unfreezes the world. But there is a big surprise...

*Basics of the game:

Marybell can basically run, jump and use magic attacks.
At the beginning of the game, you can only use basic attacks, but later in the game, by increasing your Magic level, you get more powerful magic attacks. For example, you begin with a very basic magic shot, but later you can use more powerful attacks like the Thunder or the Magic Arrows. Of course, you need more magic points in order to do more powerful attacks. For example, the basic fire consumes 15 magic points, and the Thunder 50 magic points, the Magic Arrow 75 MP, etc.

There is a process called "controller", it makes this:

-Manage the number limits (I mean, per example, never surpass the level 100, never exceed the experience points...) Also, it controls the magic points (Marybell is a witch, so its magic restores automatically) It controls the level up system, too.

-There is another process called "time", it controls the hours and minutes played.

-When you press the key "P" the Pause screen appears, it shows the game statistics.

-Marybell can wear a Magic Ring. It increases the magic restoration rate.

-When you complete a mission, you get a Magic Flower. Example of a mission:

-Defeat all the enemies of the stage
-Find the 100 normal flowers
-Find the 10 Silver Stars
-Find the 7 Red Flowers
-Find the Magic Flower hidden
-etc.

There are up to 8 magic flowers in every world. Yes, you are thinking now: "this cannot be, if you say that there are 64 Magic Flowers, then how can be 8 in 16 worlds?" This is because when you begin the game Floria the witch says Marybell that there are 64 flowers, but later in the game you discover that in fact there are 128 in total.

Every time you get a Magic Flower, your game is automatically saved. But when you go outside and explore the world, you can save manually with the Save checkpoints.

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dani_Karmann  
The .prg is already playable, but the RPG parts of the game are not implemented yet. You can play the main stages, gain some abilities, get experience points, etc. All the worlds are selected by using magic portals, like in "Mario 64", and you can get a few Magic Flowers. But there is still a lot of work to do.

Things already done:

-Marybell sprites
-14 of the 16 magic attacks of Marybell
-Maps of the Beach, the desert and the Sweet Labyrinth completed
-The Level Up and Save systems.
-Some sound effects
-The music tracks for every world
-A few missions
-Some abilities

But there is still work to do, so I'm asking you for help, I will be very grateful if you help me with this project helping me to make the different parts of the game, I cannot do all the work alone. This post was created with the idea of showing the advances of the game, until it's finished.

If you want I can send you a demo, but keep in mind that the game is still in a Beta state. I have no much time to program due to my job.

Sounds very interesting, hope to have a demo available soon.
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 01:32 PM

I have good and bad news. The good are that I've made a playable demo of the game, the bad is that I cannot upload the .zip file, I'm trying to upload the archive and it says "uploading...", but then my message and the archive disappears. What can be the problem?

[Edited on 2-12-2016 by Dani_Karmann]
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 04:45 PM

I have good and bad news. The good are that I've made a playable demo of the game, the bad is that I cannot upload the .zip file, I'm trying to upload the archive and it says "uploading...", but then my message and the archive disappears. What can be the problem?

Do you mean to the forum, or the WIP section of the site?

Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 05:20 PM

I write the message with the .zip attached, it says "uploading" and a percentage, and when it arrives to 100% then it returns to the "reply" page and my message is not being published. I'm trying to upload the archive in this page (wip section).
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 05:31 PM

Maybe your zip exceeds the size limit allowed, check if it exceeds 19.2MB.
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 06:17 PM

No, the size of the zip is 9,05 mbytes.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 06:25 PM

There is a problem with the uploads and i cannot find out where or why. Php is configured to allowed 20mb and the forum software also allowed for 20mb.

I will try to find out why it is failing
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 07:16 PM

No, the size of the zip is 9,05 mbytes.

Ok, then could try to upload the file to external site and provide the link until the forum uploads are fixed.
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 08:33 PM

Ok, I' ve uploaded the zip to my Google Drive account.

Here are the instructions:

-Download and extract the files, if you are using DosBox there is a link to DosBox included.

-Select an slot (1, 2 or 3) to save your game. For now, only the Slot 1 saves correctly.

-Move the pink arrow left or right and press Enter to select a mission (but remember that there are only a few available).

-Move Marybell with the cursor keys left or right to run, up to read signs or enter the Magic Worlds, Z to jump, X to attack.

-Use the P key to see the Pause/Statistics screen. You can see the game time, the percentage of game played, abilities aquired, your life and magic, etc.

-Press F1 to exit the actual stage, confirm with Y or N.

-Remember that the game is a beta and it's still full of bugs.

-Sometimes the game freezes after the "saving data" process. Use this cheat: press the keys D-A-N-I at the same time to return to Marybell's home or D-I-V to advance to the next stage.

-When you are in Marybell's home, select a world putting Marybell in front of a Magic Portal and press UP to enter the Magic World.

-Sometimes Marybell, when she is touched by an enemy, receives an excessive amount of damage. Due to this bug, the death is temporarily disabled.

-During the game you will find new magic attacks, press backspace to select the magic you want to use. But remember: you need a minimal amount of Magic Points if you want to use this magic. For example, the Thunder needs at least 50 mp, if your magic level is lower you will not be able to attack.

-Some of the enemies could be defeated by jumping onto them, like the scorpions and the crabs. You receive experience points for every enemy defeated.

-Collect red potions to increase your life and blue potions to increase your magic.

-Sometimes Marybell freezes after collecting the 10 silver stars or the 7 red flowers. Use the D-I-V or the D-A-N-I cheat.

-You can collect coins and money bags, but money is now unuseful.

-If you cannot access an area, wait until you get the necessary abilty to reach the zone. For example, in the Beach World you cannot get the Magic Ring until you get a specific ability.

-Some abilities are not available in this demo.

I hope you like this demo, remember that any suggestion, bug report or new idea is welcome.

The link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzzU3O8u7ABSV19xNV9YUGZrSVE...

Write a reply if you cannot download the file.
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 10:58 PM

I've downloaded the file, but is compiled with dos version seems, why you don't compile with DivDX ?

[Edited on 2-12-2016 by CicTec]
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 09:49 AM

Yes, of course, since I'm using the Dos classic version of Div2 with the DosBox emulator. Why I don't use DivDX? Because Div Dx gaves problems until now. Ok, then, but if you want the new version you have to wait a bit, since I have to copy all the files of the game to the DivDX directory.

I see that my game does not work very well in DivDx. The game is not smooth, the fading of the screen does not work, and there are some minor problems. For now, you have two options: install DosBox to play my game or wait until the DivDx version works better.

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 10:40 AM

Mmm ok, write a list of problems please, so we can see what happen and fix the bugs.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:37 AM

What version of modern DIV are you using? DIVDX should be as good if not better than DOS DIV in performance, stability and other things.

To move from DOS div to modern div, you only need to move your folder of assets (prg, fpg etc) to a new folder and open DIV. it will automatically find your fpg, map, etc from your prg directory.

If there are specific bugs you can identify, it would be great to see them (with an example prg to show the problem) and we can easily fix them in the next nightly build.

Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:48 AM

-The speed of the game is a bit slow

-The fade_on function seems to not work properly, I get instant fadings.

-The wav and pcm reproductions are ok, at last I can hear the sounds with its real volume! :)

-The reproduction of the song modules has a minor problem (see the "Div 3" section)

-Sometimes the game freezes with no reason and I have to close the game window (the combination Alt+X does not work when freezed).

-I receive an unexpected error message: "the process Marybell seems to be blocked", but it's solved if I just click "ignore".

-Plus, I see that DivDx does not remember the position of the menu, the program windows, etc.

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:56 AM

I've just tried the DOS version on OSX (divrun-OSX MARYBELL.EXE) and it seems to work ok.

You should be able to test this with write_int(0,0,0,0,&fps) and see what speed it is running at.

Where do you see this? It could be a long standing problem we should fix.

-The wav and pcm reproductions are ok, at last I can hear the sounds with its real volume! :)

The sounds seemed ok to me!

-The reproduction of the song modules has a minor problem (see the "Div 3" section)

This could be the mikmod library causing this but again we cannot be too sure yet.

-Sometimes the game freezes with no reason and I have to close the game window (the combination Alt+X does not work when freezed).

Not sure what this could be, but I'd be interested to find out.

-I receive an unexpected error message: "the process Marybell seems to be blocked", but it's solved if I just click "ignore".

This is also a little strange, maybe it is caught in a loop without frame() ?

-Plus, I see that DivDx does not remember the position of the menu, the program windows, etc.

This is not true - if it is not saving / reloading the positions of menus then I would say it is either because div IDE is maximised (possible) or permissions on system/session.dtf

Most of these problems though I'm sure we can fix and we should definitely fix them if possible as other people will have similar issues.

I use modern DIV a lot and have tried to reduce the bugs and fix things when they happen to me, so having other bug reports helps us make this better for everyone.

CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 12:03 PM

Maybe why you are in the IDE, try to create the installation and excute the program normally, It should be much faster.

Seems works ok, please press F1 to open the help, goto function button, select fade_on, click on the link of the example and excute it.

The speed depends on the FPS and now that Div is compiled natively for modern platforms, its speed is much higher.

It will be a playback unlike internal libraries, the original volume of the file maybe too high?

You can find the answer to this "problem."

Some task not performed correctly or in a different way from the original DIV, try to get the exact point with the debugger.

Probably missing a FRAME call in some processes/functions, check with the debugger.

Strange, I have many windows open and when I open the environment everything is open as it was previously.
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 04:48 PM

I'm having problems trying to make an installation for the Marybell game with DivDX, after the installation is done, I cannot find the folder with the game anywhere. Perhaps it is not being created (?).

-Mike DX, the problem with the "instant fadings" occurs when Marybell exits from a Magic World and she returns to the portal room. But only in the DivDx version, not the "classic" one.

-I see that the problem with the menus position occurs with the DivDx screen maximized.

-Another bug is that when you press "Alt+X" to exit DivDx, the program writes one or two "x" letters in the .prg that you have on screen.

-Ah, the problem with the error "seems to be blocked" is solved :)

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by Dani_Karmann]
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 10:21 AM

New:

-Added two indicators:
>When you pick a coin, an indicator showing "10$" appears.
>When you pick a bag of coins, another indicator showing "50$" appears.

-In the earlier version, the coin lasts forever, now it has a limited time and disappears.
-Some sprites retouched.
-A pair of minor bugs fixed.
-Added a sign in the non playable stages showing the text "stage unplayable".
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 05:14 PM

New:

-Added two indicators:
>When you pick a coin, an indicator showing "10$" appears.
>When you pick a bag of coins, another indicator showing "50$" appears.

-In the earlier version, the coin lasts forever, now it has a limited time and disappears.
-Some sprites retouched.
-A pair of minor bugs fixed.
-Added a sign in the non playable stages showing the text "stage unplayable".

Cool :P any progress on a playable DivDX port of the demo?

Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 08:27 PM

I'm working with the Div 2 version because Div 2 is more "comfortable" to me; but do not worry, all the game (flies, prg, etc), will be ported to DivDx. Plus, here is a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avfs4U-TRgA
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top