Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Floral magician Mary Bell
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 08:47 PM
Floral magician Mary Bell

This is a game based in the anime of the same title. You are Mary Bell, a little witch that lives in Sunnybell. One day, a strange power freezes the entire town and all the people and you have to investigate who made it, collect magic flowers and fight the evil wizard.

FEATURES:
----------------
-12 different abilities (like double jump, fairy scroll, hyper jump, head attack, transform into a siren, and more). Yes, it's like a "Metroidvania" game.

-16 different magic attacks (fire ball, thunder, fire wheel, magic arrow, acid rain, meteorite rain, time stop, bombs, freezing ray, auto heal...)

-Collect 64 magic flowers by completing missions (the game system works like "Super Mario 64" but with RPG elements added).

-Level up system (increase your life, luck, defense and magic)

-Save system (save your progress in the game)

-Some secret zones in the stages only reachable wth some magic abilities (like double jump)

-Magic objects to collect: potions, rings, crystals...

But I have no very much time to program and the game is only at the 12% of progress approx.

Here you can see some screenshots of the actual game.
I'm using Div 2 to program this game.

dos4gw_011.png - 302kB dos4gw_016.png - 302kB dos4gw_018.png - 302kB dos4gw_012.png - 302kB dos4gw_021.png - 302kB

[Edited on 4-8-2016 by Dani_Karmann]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 09:09 PM

Wow very nice!
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 5-8-2016 at 09:09 AM

So pretty!
Stay focused.
If you need any help let us know.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 5-8-2016 at 04:26 PM

If you like, send me what you have (even if its an installer you've made with DIV2 - I don't need the prg or fpg) and I will generate builds for HTML / PI / LINUX / WINDOWS and anything else I can manage :)

You can upload a zip of the DOS Installer here if you like.

Or if you want, upload a zip of the prg + all files (fpg, wav, etc) and I'll generate from that.

Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 5-8-2016 at 08:47 PM

Sorry, but there are some important parts missing. Most stages are unplayable, there are a lot of bugs and only the "action" parts works, the RPG parts are not created yet. For example, I need to draw the character portraits, the town map, etc. I want to make these parts but I have no much time to program.

You can see the game in action in this video (important: activate annotations): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1frkW2UsM

Note: any suggestions are welcome.

Dom Cook: Yes, I need help for some parts: How to make the character enter into the water and exit from it, and a memory problem, at the beginning of the stages the game runs very slowly until some processes are eliminated.

Thanks for everything, I'm glad to see that you like this game. It's really a hard work, i began this project in 2014, but make a big game like this is too much work for only one person. :(

dos4gw_019.png - 302kB dos4gw_020.png - 302kB
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 09:18 AM

Here you are, some new screenshots. The game is now at 14%, I think, and there is a new ability, a new magic shot, new sounds, and a new stage. I know, the game is progressing veeeeery slow, due to my lack of time and the fact that I have no friends to help me in this project. I'm thinking in the possibility of abandon the game and start it again from zero in another program like Game Maker, but I'm a totally noob in GM. The problem is the excess of memory of the maps.

dos4gw_001.png - 302kB dos4gw_002.png - 302kB dos4gw_000.png - 302kB
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 12:36 PM

Nice work, bad that i see it today. Can you make this game in english for non-spanish players?
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 07:33 PM

Do not worry, perhaps this version of the game will not be released, in fact this is a "reduced" version of the game that I want to make. My dream is to make this game in 3d, like "Super Mario 64", but with cel-shading style graphics, like "Ni no kuni" or "Dragon Quest 8", but I don't have the necessary tools, so I decided to make this "reduced" version, like it was a Super Nintendo or Genesis game. So, this game perhaps is not going to be continued, due to the limitations of Div 2 (as I said before, the huge amount of memory of the maps). I'm considering the possiblity of make this game in Game Maker, but I don't know how to work with GM, and, as I said, it's too much work for only one person.

Here is a new video showing the desert stage and some abilities of Mary Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSiZ5pWo8Go
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 07:38 PM

The new video looks great, it's very smooth and very nice!

If you think it's too much work for one person, maybe upload the project to github and get others to help with you?

It would be a shame if this game didn't get released, even unfinished as it looks beautiful
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
The new video looks great, it's very smooth and very nice!

If you think it's too much work for one person, maybe upload the project to github and get others to help with you?

It would be a shame if this game didn't get released, even unfinished as it looks beautiful

There is a problem: Mary Bell is not a character of my own, it's from a Toei anime, so if I make the game "seriously", I need to change it. I don' t know what Github is, but if I find some others, we'll need to use another tool to make the game. Div 2 is easy to learn and use, but it have some limitations, and Game Maker does not work with 320x240 resolution.

But, if I could make the game of my dreams, I will be very happy. The actual game of Mary Bell is only a very reduced version; imagine this with a 3D engine like "Super Mario 64", but 3D cel-shading graphics like "Ni no Kuni", THAT's the game I want to make. A game with this 3D style, RPG parts, some characters to speak, objects to collect, a long story (more than 100 hours of gameplay), etc.
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dani_Karmann  
So, this game perhaps is not going to be continued, due to the limitations of Div 2 (as I said before, the huge amount of memory of the maps).

Do you use MAP files for the levels? Why not tiles? Less memory and faster (i think). Please, continue on this game (2D version or lite version). Nice old classic gaming. :)
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RKSoft  
Do you use MAP files for the levels? Why not tiles? Less memory and faster (i think). Please, continue on this game (2D version or lite version). Nice old classic gaming. :)

Yes, I'm working with maps, like "Castle of Dr. Malvado". One map for the main level, and a 50% reduced version for the ground, walls and ceilings. Is it possible to work with tiles in Div 2? How? And, with a tile map, how can I set the marks for ground, walls, etc.?
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 06:57 PM

Here is another video. In this stage, you have this objective: jump from tree to tree without touching the ground, until you arrive to the "finish" mark. If you have success, you get a Magic Flower. Yes, as you can see, the game works like "Super Mario 64", with Magic Flowers instead of Power Stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQAY-UOp3dc&feature=yout...

Note: Any suggestion (missions, enemies, characters, etc.), is welcome.
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 04:31 PM

Yes, it is possible to use tiles in DIV/DIV2/DIV DX. You need to set the tiles (graphic) on screen and read the position from your current player pos. Compare the pos from tile and player. In an array, you saved the tiles collision types (ie: 0 = nothing, 1 = hard, 2 = hard (no falling) but you can go and jump through (left, right, bottom to top). If you have slopes, you need to compare pixel wise. I used it in Super Mario World DX (DIV2) and used this in my projects (Blitz Basic).

Before you can use tiles, you need to create a level editor to add, edit, del, load and save your (tile)map. After creating such a program, you can make huge (game) maps with a min. RAM and without a coll. map. Sadly, i haven't the SMWDX editor & game source code, so i can't show you how works in DIV. Maybe, i dev. a multi level editor such i done it in Blitz Basic.

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by RKSoft]
josepgames
Loyalty card holder

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 09:06 AM

Hi,

Wow Dani_Karmann it's a wonderful game!! Will you finally think about publishing a Div version?

I've developed a level editor for my New PacMan Game and I posted the source code at:

http://div-arena.co.uk/forum2/viewthread.php?tid=151#pid1418

Perhaps this helps as an start point to create your own level maker.

Good luck with your project!

[Edited on 4-11-2016 by josepgames]

JosepGames
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 6-11-2016 at 09:14 AM

Every RPG game needs some portraits/mugshots for the characters, isn't it? So, I made some pencil sketches to show you how a portrait of Mary Bell and other characters will look. All the images and videos I show you before shows the "action/platform" part of the game, but I'm preparing the RPG part, with characters to speak, cities/towns to explore, etc. I' ve added two screenshots of the introduction, when Tamborin, Marybell's companion, awakes her in the morning, at the beginning of the game.

CAM04114.jpg - 796kB CAM04115.jpg - 754kB CAM04116.jpg - 807kB CAM04113.jpg - 803kB dos4gw_001.png - 302kB dos4gw_003.png - 302kB
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 10:26 AM

I' ve made a test image to show you how a text screen could look into the game. Plus, other random screenshots of the actual game.

TEST.gif - 26kB dos4gw_015.png - 302kB dos4gw_016.png - 302kB dos4gw_017.png - 302kB dos4gw_018.png - 302kB dos4gw_019.png - 302kB dos4gw_020.png - 302kB
CicTec
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 11:13 AM

Hello Dani_Karmann,

Very nice game, keep it up.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 11:42 AM

Ahhh this looks really cool!! Reminds me a little of that flower helicopter game that Ian Price did back in the day (I think it was Ian...?)

I can't remember ever actually using tiles myself, but I'm going to guess it works by defining a STRUCT - say, STRUCT leveltiles[500] and then having x, y, and tiletype as variables in that struct? And then a level editor that manipulates those accordingly. Say, each level being 500 tiles big, which would work out to a level of 20 by 25 tiles, each row down being the next 25 in the array, or something like that. It's been so long since I've seen others doing this kind of thing I wouldn't be surprised if I'd forgotten it all!

[Edited on 10-11-2016 by BreadCaster]

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
wasabi
DIV Junior

[*] posted on 16-11-2016 at 12:25 AM

I love the visual style and the stripped tiles are beatiful. Did you made them from scratch? It looks like a fun game to play.
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 16-11-2016 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wasabi  
I love the visual style and the stripped tiles are beatiful. Did you made them from scratch? It looks like a fun game to play.

Do you mean the tiles from the Sweets and chocolate Labyrinth stage? I made it from zero. Marybell sprites were edited from Asha of "Monster World 4", and the rest of the sprites were from different games like Wonder Boy in Monster World, Atomic Runner and others.

dos4gw_000.png - 302kB
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 16-11-2016 at 06:25 PM

Looking good, but the HUD i would be change. I think it doesn't look like this game (level, tiles etc.).
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 16-11-2016 at 07:05 PM

Looking good, but the HUD i would be change. I think it doesn't look like this game (level, tiles etc.).

This is my game, but remember that any suggestion or new idea is totally welcome. What do you mean exactly with the "hud"? Are you talking about changing the life and magic bars?
RKSoft
Game Making Machine!

[*] posted on 17-11-2016 at 04:15 PM

Lol, yes. HUD is head up display: see wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUD_(video_gaming)
and i know that this is your game not mine ;).
Dani_Karmann
DIV Pro

[*] posted on 17-11-2016 at 04:43 PM

Lol, yes. HUD is head up display:

Aahhh, ok, I'm from Spain and I did not knew what "HUD" was. And excuse me if you feel offended, with "this is my game" I only mean that I'm the creator of the game; but you can contribute. In fact, I cannot make a game of this size all alone and I'll appreciate your help. If the game sees the light one day, your name will appear in the credits. You can contribute with ideas of new enemies, a new ability for Marybell, bosses, etc.

Rksoft, have you any suggestion for a new appearance of the life or magic bars?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top