[*] posted on 13-5-2016 at 04:08 PM
Rip Off Revectored

Welcome to Rip Off 3 REVECTORED ...AGAIN

ripoff3.png - 26kB

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by dom cook]
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 13-5-2016 at 04:16 PM

So lets begin with a brief description of what Rip Off is all about.

From the web;

Game Introduction
One or two players attempt to protect fuel canisters from groups of invading pirate tanks that appear from the edges of the screen. There are six styles of pirate tanks in the game worth 10 to 60 points each. The value of each style is determined by its speed and strategy. Low point value tanks are very slow and generally head directly for the fuel. Higher point tanks are much faster and may work together to lure a player to destruction.

All pirate tanks are armed with short-range lasers, while player tanks are equipped with a cannon. Invading tanks are destroyed when they are hit by a cannon shot. Enemies can also be destroyed by a collision with a player's tank. There is no penalty to the player for destroying enemy tanks this way except for the brief period of time he is out of the game. When playing a two-player game, it is not possible to shoot the other player, although you will both be destroyed if your tanks collide.

The game is organized into waves and bonus levels. Two or three enemy tanks attack in each wave. A wave ends when all the pirate tanks have either been destroyed by the players or have dragged a fuel canister off the screen. After a number of waves, the bonus level increases 10, 20 ... and another round begins, starting with 10-point tanks. Each successive round is slightly faster and harder than the one before it. The bonus level gives additional points for each enemy tank destroyed. The game proceeds in this manner until all fuel canisters have been "ripped off" by the pirate tanks.

Awesome or what?
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 14-5-2016 at 03:15 PM
If you chase two rabbits, both of them will escape.

PART 1 Getting started.

I've downloaded the original game. It comes with the PRG file which is editable in DIV studio. However, it can't be played because the media has been packed up using some strange magic.

The first thing to do then is to run through the code and identify all the missing media.
Once that's done I'll produce some simple place holders - beeps and boxes. This should get the program runnable through DIV studio.

In terms of game states, this will already be a finished game. Although perhaps a bit rough around the edges, it will already be playable and that's something that can't be said for anything else I've uploaded here recently.

In a way, that's the point of starting this project. To get something finished. I see my other projects stretching away into the future and I want to finish something.

PS. What's a paradox?

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 15-5-2016 at 07:57 PM
Back to basics

Stage 1 complete.
Objectives complete:
Ripped out the Mode 7 and converted coordinate system back to screen type
Neutralized sound commands
Set up some place holder graphics

The essential functionality of the game is now in place and it is even kind of playable even in this state.
The next step is to make some blocky graphics for the individual game elements so that I can employ the DIV collision detection functions for report various relevant events in the game (Moslty being shot.)
After that I need to determine the size and shape of the game area. As I want to make this game switchable between 2d and 3d, I need to figure out an arena form and size that works well in both formats. For a non scrolling top-down 2d game a rectangle that corresponds th the screen works best.. But for 3d a circular arena is perhaps more suitable. The original 2d game also featured wraparound gameplay (going off one side and coming on the other) this doesn't obviously translate into 1st person 3d. For 2D there's also the option of a scrolling screen to consider.

Attachment: RIPOFF301.PRG (20kB)
This file has been downloaded 3665 times

Attachment: RO.FPG (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 4015 times

RO301.png - 2kB
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 16-5-2016 at 06:26 PM

DIV doesn't do collision detection in mode 7 so in the original version of this game collisions are reported when two objects get within a distance of less than the sum of their radii.
I've now realised that it's actually possible and quite easy to use DIV collisions even in Mode 7 or 3D. There's a demo of this in the code snippets thread on mode 7 setup.

So I've now stripped out the old collision detection routines and replaced then with DIV's collision(type process type) function. This required some slightly more beefy place holders so I've upgraded the graphics to rectangles. And for now I'm working with a rectangular game area.

As a bonus, thanks to Mike I've got to restore a lot of the original sound. The files are in the .zip

The game is starting to shape up. Go on, give it a go.

RO302.png - 3kB

Attachment: RO.FPG (84kB)
This file has been downloaded 3957 times

Attachment: RIPOFF302.PRG (18kB)
This file has been downloaded 3646 times

Attachment: ripoff3.zip (79kB)
This file has been downloaded 3624 times

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 16-5-2016 at 08:48 PM

Very cool DOM

Problem with PRG though, EXP.WAV needs to be EXP3.WAV (or rename the file, either is good)

Little swines keep robbing all the goods though, I'm pretty useless at this game. Also I can run faster than my bullets so that keeps it interesting :)
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 17-5-2016 at 01:11 PM

Yes bullets are a bit crap I think it's because they are copied from the white ball from billiards game in the example programs. Pirate lasers seem to come out of odd places too. And the tanks turn really slowly.
It will get better, I promise, Bullets and movement are up next for the treatment.
Even with usable armaments, it's still going to be very hard for one player. The original at least was definitely meant for 2 players. It's the original survival co-op. That's why you can expect me to plague you at some point for networking help.
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 17-5-2016 at 07:11 PM

This one's a bit more like it. And here's the missing WAV, I think.

Attachment: RO.FPG (83kB)
This file has been downloaded 3679 times

Attachment: EXP.WAV (27kB)
This file has been downloaded 3629 times

Attachment: RIPOFF303.PRG (17kB)
This file has been downloaded 3611 times
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 21-5-2016 at 08:02 AM

This version has graphics for the tanks based as best as I could manage on the original game. I'm not that keen on them myself but for out of respect and all that.
The point of it was to have something to build a vector model from. If you run the game you'll get 2 renders. the DIV one and a scaled vector one, They both use the same position data.

I got the vector data by plotting the vertices into the graphs and then reading them off in the program using get_real_point() and map_get_pixel()

The advantage of vectors is demonstrated as they scale nicely. Scaling a one pixel thick line drawn on a sprite by 50% makes it degenerate and scaling it up makes it fat.

Attachment: RIPOFF306.PRG (25kB)
This file has been downloaded 3323 times

Attachment: RO.FPG (117kB)
This file has been downloaded 3702 times

ro306.png - 7kB
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 05:30 PM
Now where was I?

What's needed for this and for any other potential 3d vextor games is a simpe way to make the models. Once you move beyond cubes and boxes it gets seriously tedious typing out the model coordinates by hand.

For that reason I'm trying to knock together a (very) simple 3d model editor prog which will be able to save and export files in a custom format. This too is tedious but once it's done it will be worth the effort. With Mike's blessing it could even possibly end up as an integral part of DIV,

Here's a shot of what I've got so far.
If there's anyone out there with any suggestions regarding potential features please let me know.

SNAP0000.PNG - 16kB

[Edited on 12-9-2016 by dom cook]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 05:36 PM

Yes. We need this! Could be awesome for us as it would work well for making retro vector games especially mobile and web
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 22-9-2016 at 04:27 PM
time for a post

I've been pottering with this editor and it's coming on slowly. My problem is that I can't focus on it so I'm just doing the odd bit when I've got the time at the mental energy.

Seeing as it's been a while since I contributed anything here, I've decided to post what I've got so far.

You can't do much editing with it at the mo, apart from rotating, scaling and changing color of bodies. You can also delete objects and add blank ones.
Keys that do stuff are _n, _b, arrows, _1 to _5. _f1 to _f5. letters, backspace and enter (when you name a new object.).

Attachment: editorprg.zip (19kB)
This file has been downloaded 3340 times

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 23-9-2016 at 12:22 AM

And here it is as a web app in all its glory

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/domcookeditorprg.html
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 23-9-2016 at 06:29 PM

Hey Mike I've been adding a tool which creates new objects and I'm encountering a problem where the program will just shutdown without warning or error message. I guessing that it's because the program is exceeding the maximum allowed number of processes. Is that feasible? I've upped the maximum number of allowed processes using the compiler_options and it looks like this might have solved things but it would be nice to know what was causing the problem.

PS Now you've made it into a web app I'm more motivated to get on with it. I'm a bit embarrassed with it as it is now.
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 24-9-2016 at 12:08 AM

I think the max number of processes is pretty high in modern div.

The debugger should show you some stats. Also i think max processes is based upon how much memory div is allowed to use, so local vars really bump this up and lower the amount of processes you can actually use.

I should really change this and make it "infinite"

dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 04:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dom cook  

PS Now you've made it into a web app I'm more motivated to get on with it. I'm a bit embarrassed with it as it is now.

Famous last words.
Three years later...

MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 10:40 AM

What on earth are you doing up at 4am
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 12:28 PM

it was 5 where I am. Still a bit too early though, I admit.

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by dom cook]
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 05:55 PM

Ok so the 3d editor thing was a bit ambitious.
This time I'm focussing on making the game.

In getting familiar with the code again, I've already managed to break a couple of things but, not to worry, I've added a cool camera whose height can be adjusted by dragging a billiard ball.

ZOOM-.gif - 11kB ZOOM+.gif - 21kB ZOOM0.gif - 50kB

Try it here..

Attachment: RIPOFF.zip (112kB)
This file has been downloaded 804 times

[Edited on 28-3-2019 by dom cook]
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 31-3-2019 at 04:01 PM

OK I've got some baddies to shoot again. I had the bright idea of purging the prg of user defined local variables. Not surprisingly this got me into a mess but I'm back on track now.

pirates.png - 47kB
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 03:20 PM

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/ripoff010419.html
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 08:21 AM

Right I'm at the point where everything seems to be working ok in 2D. This is pretty much a complete remake of the original Rip Off game now (minus any as yet undiscovered bugs). It's missing explosions and maybe some other effects and the pirates are terrible shots but it's the same gameplay. The next thing to do is swap the font for a vector based one and then I can start to 3d things up a bit.

Attachment: RIPOFF403.PRG (28kB)
This file has been downloaded 797 times

Wow, that was relatively painless.

vfont.png - 35kB

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by dom cook]

Attachment: font0.FPG (15kB)
This file has been downloaded 801 times

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by dom cook]
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 5-4-2019 at 04:39 PM

Slowly but surely, 3D is on the way.

SNAP0004.png - 54kB
dom cook
Div Pro

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 11:13 AM

The 3D effect in the last picture was a result of perspective. The camera itself was fixed directly above the centre of the game area and pointing straight down.
This image, although not a lot more to look at is more complex, the camera can be tilted moved and translated so the view is from above and to the side. Of course not everything is getting the 3d treatment yet. I'm proceeding with caution. If this breaks badly, I don't think I have the resolve to try to fix it.

SNAP0003D.gif - 30kB

This is also a significant improvement on Div Tank Arena because the camera in that was locked in a horizontal plane. That's been something I wanted to put right for a while now as I quite like the idea of a wireframe dogfighting game and that would require a free camera.
So, at last I'm getting round to it, this time round, the biggest problem with making this step has been that I've had flu and fever for about two weeks and even the most simple concepts have been beyond my grasp. Trying to manipulate a bunch of vectors in my head has been horrificly difficult.

[Edited on 8-4-2019 by dom cook]
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 04:44 PM

This is very cool

Dom I've got a WIP page for uploading a zip of prg + assets, that creates a html file. Maybe we can use your WIP as a test for it
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top