Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The UK, DIV-ARENA and proxies
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 25-11-2016 at 09:55 PM
The UK, DIV-ARENA and proxies

Hi folks

Wasn't sure if I should just shoot Mikey a message about this, but I figured it could be a good heads up to others as well who're inside the UK.

Basically, the British government has recently passed something being reffered to as the "Snoopers Charter". It's gotten through the house of commons, house of lords and now just has to be enshrined into law within the coming weeks - with the use of this bill it's possible to look at literally everything anyone on the internet is doing - emails, websites, the works. This is pretty terrifying so naturally, as a UK resident, I went and signed up with a VPN.

Only to come here, and find that I've been banned! I'm guessing there's some sort of auto setup on the forum to prevent people using a proxy here for any reason, although I think "not having to sacrifice all of your online privacy" is a pretty good reason for using a proxy/VPN.

That is, unless, it was an active decision of a mod or someone to place the ban - if so, well, now you know why I'm using a VPN.

It's a pretty big pain to have to close all other active tabs and disable my VPN to come to Div-Arena, is there anything we can do to sort this out?

- Bready

[Edited on 25-11-2016 by BreadCaster]

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~
MikeDX
DIV Nerd

[*] posted on 25-11-2016 at 10:29 PM

the problem with proxies (especially open ones), is that spammers (ab)use them. the ips that are banned are those from a blacklist of spam sourcing ips

If you are paying for a VPN, then we can probably do something about it.

alternatively we *could* allow logins from banned ips but not signups

Also as part of the "snoopers charter" it is not possible as far as i'm aware to track https connections anyway - its all a bit strange (you can track dns lookups, and thats about it)

answers on a postcard I guess.
BreadCaster
Loyalty Card Holder

[*] posted on 25-11-2016 at 11:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeDX  
the problem with proxies (especially open ones), is that spammers (ab)use them. the ips that are banned are those from a blacklist of spam sourcing ips

If you are paying for a VPN, then we can probably do something about it.

alternatively we *could* allow logins from banned ips but not signups

Also as part of the "snoopers charter" it is not possible as far as i'm aware to track https connections anyway - its all a bit strange (you can track dns lookups, and thats about it)

I'm currently using a paid VPN based in Sweden. I do have my reasons for wanting to avoid surveillance, which may affect my day to day life, sadly. :/

~*~ Princess of Pies and Pastries ~*~

Go To Top