DIV ARENA FORUMS

"Voxels" and Mode 8 sprites (possibly mode 7 sprites too)

BreadCaster - 23-5-2017 at 02:46 AM

Hey all

So Ive started to attempt a few basic voxel style things in Mode 8 using sprite bars, making them wider to simulate shelves, floors etc. Just a bit of experimentation.

Well, Ive got the code working now but ive got a problem where the sprites are all flickering and disappearing/reapppearing when I turn the camera/move it closer to and further from the sprites, or when the mode 8 sprites get closer to each other. Does anyone know how to prevent this? :S

Screenshot of what i mean posted below for reference.

spritesbug.jpg - 187kB

CicTec - 23-5-2017 at 09:12 AM

Hi BreadCaster,

There are two possible answers to this problem:

1) Some latent bugs still present in mode8 to be corrected.
2) A problem of precision loss in the calculation of too small/near objects due to the use of INT instead of floating-points.

If you can mount a small example to be tested, it would be very useful to analyze the problem and try to solve it later.

BreadCaster - 24-5-2017 at 10:51 AM

Okay, will do it as soon as I can as I cant get access to my main PC right now. Have a feeling that it's likely to be number 2 rather than the 1st option - if so would thare be any way of fixing this/working around this?

BC

CicTec - 24-5-2017 at 01:12 PM

It should be possible to work with voxel in an acceptable manner even with fixed-point (INT), but first really need to identify what is the visual display problem of "voxel" objects for mode8

[Edited on 24-5-2017 by CicTec]